DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XLH1 Downconvert? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/63181-xlh1-downconvert.html)

Brad Schreiber March 18th, 2006 03:33 PM

XLH1 Downconvert?

Hey guys, thought I'd just get a straight yes or no answer, can the Canon XLH1 downconvert to DV while digitzing, and what if any timecode issues does this create? Yes, there's a similair post two notches down from me, but it's a little varied off topic.

Chris Hurd March 18th, 2006 05:03 PM

The XL H1 can downconvert HDV to DV over FireWire on playback (in other words, in VCR mode).

Jeff Nelson March 18th, 2006 09:04 PM

What's the quality like in the built-in downconvert in the H1?

Thanks.

Chris Hurd March 19th, 2006 01:14 AM

Most folks agree that it's better than if you had shot standard definition DV in the first place.

Bruce S. Yarock March 19th, 2006 01:36 AM

Chris,
If you wanted to shoot in hdv(for archiving or editing hdv at a later date),but presently wanted to edit in dv, how would you capture the footage? We use Premiere Pro.
Also, I have a firestore FS-4 (upgraded to hd) which I use with my xl2 . I assume that would work with the xlh1...correct?
Bruce Yarock

Brad Schreiber March 19th, 2006 02:02 AM

Timecode Purity?

Chris, any idea how Timecode would hold up on an uprez to HDV? I've heard HDV's Timecode can be problematic at best.

Chris Hurd March 19th, 2006 02:09 AM

For Bruce -- Use the XL H1 to shoot in HDV. Upon playback for capture, toggle the downconvert option in the VCR menu. Capture via FireWire into PPro as you would any other DV material. The FS-4 with HD upgrade is compatible with the XL H1. However you cannot use it to record DV while the H1 is in HDV mode, because there is no provision for a live downconvert while shooting. Downconversion is available upon playback only.

For Brad -- Sorry, I don't have a stinkin' clue as to how well TC holds up on an uprez to HDV. Anybody?

Bruce S. Yarock March 19th, 2006 06:08 AM

Chris,
Thanks for the info, though I haven't bought the xlh1 yet.
Regarding the fs-4- If i record in hdv,and then capture from the fs-4, how would I edit (convert footage) into dv in PPro?
Bruce Yarock

Barry Gregg March 19th, 2006 08:14 AM

I've done the downconver with After Effects. You can re-size the frame to either wide screen or crop the sides for a 4:3 frame and render out to a SD codec. Not very fast, but it works.

Steve Rosen March 19th, 2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Most folks agree that it's better than if you had shot standard definition DV in the first place.

Athough I got the H1 to start new projects, a history documentary that I shot last year on my (recently sold) XL2 came back to me with the request that I update it from 20 to 28 minutes for American Public Television.

I have been shooting new material in HDV and downconverting with the Sony HVR-M10 set to "squeeze".. I have been inserting the footage this weekend, and it is pretty much seamless.

Before starting, I tested my options, and shooting HDV and downconverting looked better that shooting DV 16x9 - with the H1 at least...

I edit with FCP...

Jeff Nelson March 19th, 2006 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Rosen
I've owned an H1 since December and have been shooting constantly with it since. It yields incredible HDV images, but if you are shooting 4x3 SD, the lens won't be wide enough for some interiors, like cars. It also has a bit of a learning curve if you intend to tweak it.

Steve, when you downcovert to SD from this camera, do you have the option of grabbing it 4x3? Or does it only come of the camera to DV @ 16x9?

Steve Rosen March 19th, 2006 08:00 PM

Jeff: Don't know, I use the Sony deck, never even looked at the camera menu.. I think the Canon manual is available on-line and it would answer that...