XLH1 Downconvert? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 18th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XLH1 Downconvert?

Hey guys, thought I'd just get a straight yes or no answer, can the Canon XLH1 downconvert to DV while digitzing, and what if any timecode issues does this create? Yes, there's a similair post two notches down from me, but it's a little varied off topic.
Brad Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The XL H1 can downconvert HDV to DV over FireWire on playback (in other words, in VCR mode).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What's the quality like in the built-in downconvert in the H1?

Thanks.
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Most folks agree that it's better than if you had shot standard definition DV in the first place.

Old March 19th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #5
Trustee

Chris,
If you wanted to shoot in hdv(for archiving or editing hdv at a later date),but presently wanted to edit in dv, how would you capture the footage? We use Premiere Pro.
Also, I have a firestore FS-4 (upgraded to hd) which I use with my xl2 . I assume that would work with the xlh1...correct?
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Timecode Purity?

Chris, any idea how Timecode would hold up on an uprez to HDV? I've heard HDV's Timecode can be problematic at best.
Brad Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

For Bruce -- Use the XL H1 to shoot in HDV. Upon playback for capture, toggle the downconvert option in the VCR menu. Capture via FireWire into PPro as you would any other DV material. The FS-4 with HD upgrade is compatible with the XL H1. However you cannot use it to record DV while the H1 is in HDV mode, because there is no provision for a live downconvert while shooting. Downconversion is available upon playback only.

For Brad -- Sorry, I don't have a stinkin' clue as to how well TC holds up on an uprez to HDV. Anybody?

Old March 19th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #8
Trustee

Chris,
Thanks for the info, though I haven't bought the xlh1 yet.
Regarding the fs-4- If i record in hdv,and then capture from the fs-4, how would I edit (convert footage) into dv in PPro?
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I've done the downconver with After Effects. You can re-size the frame to either wide screen or crop the sides for a 4:3 frame and render out to a SD codec. Not very fast, but it works.
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Most folks agree that it's better than if you had shot standard definition DV in the first place.
Athough I got the H1 to start new projects, a history documentary that I shot last year on my (recently sold) XL2 came back to me with the request that I update it from 20 to 28 minutes for American Public Television.

I have been shooting new material in HDV and downconverting with the Sony HVR-M10 set to "squeeze".. I have been inserting the footage this weekend, and it is pretty much seamless.

Before starting, I tested my options, and shooting HDV and downconverting looked better that shooting DV 16x9 - with the H1 at least...

I edit with FCP...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen
I've owned an H1 since December and have been shooting constantly with it since. It yields incredible HDV images, but if you are shooting 4x3 SD, the lens won't be wide enough for some interiors, like cars. It also has a bit of a learning curve if you intend to tweak it.
Steve, when you downcovert to SD from this camera, do you have the option of grabbing it 4x3? Or does it only come of the camera to DV @ 16x9?
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #12
Major Player

Jeff: Don't know, I use the Sony deck, never even looked at the camera menu.. I think the Canon manual is available on-line and it would answer that...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders