Adjusting camera color. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Adjusting camera color.

Hi,

My H1 colour seems to neutral in soft lighting conditions here in the UK.

Seems to run rather red when the sun is out for some reason.

Which setting would tweak this.

Best regards

Mike
Mike Leisegang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Mike,
You can use the Camera Presets in the menu and adjust the RGN (red Gain)
but you can tweak the color massively. You can have at least 6 presets at your easy (flick of a button) disposal at any given time.

also for simple warm/cool adjusting it on the fly try using the white balance dial, set to K. Press the white balance button and use the Iris Scroll to adjust the dereees of white balance in Kalvin (from cool to warm)
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Trustee

Mike,
There are many (maybe too many ways) to adjust the color on XLH1. First you should know the preset indoors incandescent setting is more like 3000 than 3200. If you use the k adjustment you will be able to dial in the color temperature to taste if you have a good monitor.
As for adding more color I would go up a notch or two from middle in the Custom Preset Saturation Menu.
Without knowing what was going on in either the outdoors or indoors shots it is hard to diagnose. I would say Canon's due tend to have a lot of red in them but you don't give enough info say that is what you are seeing
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks to both of you.

Shot some indoor stuff of kids fencing.

Color corrected perfectly with whites looking very good.

Overall impression is that the camera shoots with less contrast as defualt. On the flat side.

Shooting outdoors as a test with a face in forground and hedge in background with sunshine spill.

No matter what I did there was no way of color correcting the red out with the color temp knob.

As youy have mentioned canon run a little on the red side.

Also very difficult getting viewfinder to match what you see with the eye.

Will be buying a Sony BVM-D9H5E with a HD board soon and this I'm sure will be a better start.

Best regards

Mike.
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #5
Trustee

Mike,
You should also play with the Master Ped a little. It will give you more contrast in the picture which will help your color saturation. Again I wouldn't do more than a notch or two down. If you haven't looked at the Cine Gamma you might like that as well.
The camera is very neutral as it ships and it takes a little adjustment to make it more flavorful.
Having a monitor you trust ( very hard these days with so many different signals to choose from ) is a good start. Just remember some things work well indoors don't work as well outdoors.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for that Daniel.

Will start playing.

Mike.
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:24 AM   #7
Major Player

Another thread

There is another thread here somwhere, where good and nice people have contributed with there their own presets. There I downloaded for example "Kodak 5296 film stock" emulation, which I really liked. Search by presets!
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders