A clue to 24F for Steve Mullen? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Closed Thread

Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:40 AM   #1
Major Player

A clue to 24F for Steve Mullen?

http://homepage.mac.com/pappasarts/....ROGRESSIVE.jpg

Whaddya think guys? Interesting...
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:03 AM   #2
RED Problem Solver

Makes me think they're using a "frame mode". Would be interesting to take a Canon 24f clip (normal, colour) and replace the interpolated field with different de-interlace algorithms to see which looks closest to the original. Can you suggest a good clip for me to downloadm, Barlow, and I'll try and post back results.

Graeme
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:15 AM   #3
Major Player

I'll try to put up a few for you, Graeme. I'll post later on today.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Trustee

is he trying to compare an h1 1080 frame to a jvc 720 frame?
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:22 AM   #5
Major Player

If I'm not mistaken, he wants to "deinterlace" a 24F clip, render it out as a new clip, and then compare it to the original.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:25 AM   #6
RED Problem Solver

Yes Barlow. I want to put my nice deinterlacer from my FinalTouch plugins onto it.

Graeme
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:35 AM   #7
Major Player

Graeme, how about a 60i clip converted to 24p for reference too. I'd like to see if there's difference perceptually. btw, anyone with a nice 50i clip to share, that would be helpful too, as it might make a difference for some of us who are considering the PAL modification to know if it makes for better 24p conversion.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:41 AM   #8
RED Problem Solver

I want to just look at de-interlacing and resolution, so 60i to 30p would be my preferable comparison to 24f and 24f with de-interlace.

Graeme
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:10 PM   #9
Major Player

btw, Graeme, I'm not sure how you can deinterlace a progressive frame? It's already done so how are fields going to be separated and re-deinterlaced?
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:16 PM   #10
RED Problem Solver

Whenever I've seen 24f, it looks like on field is real, the other created. I want to throw away the created field and see if I can make it "better" from the real field.

Graeme
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:09 PM   #11
Trustee

A red filter will inhibit a lot of green... that is what I have used them for in the past. If these cameras are using the green to do pixel shifting, wouldnt this make sense? The interlaced areas are where the green would fill up? I am not an engineer or anything, just a seasoned shooter. I am gonna throw a red filter on the HVX to see what happens...

ash =o)
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:13 PM   #12
RED Problem Solver

Looking at the really nice footage that Barlow sent, it looks to me like frame mode. It really looks to be doing some kind of blend - it doesn't look aliassed enough to be a de-interlace, but it's too aliassed to be a total field blend. It actually looks really good - not perfect, but really good.

Graeme
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:46 PM   #13
Trustee

Hey could somebody shoot a scene with a red filter and then shoot the same locked down scene without the filter to compare the results and/or post two frame grabs? It would also be great if you could use the remote control to zoom in and out and match two frames at the exact same moment in motion. Then we can really figure out what is going on with the second field during motion.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:17 PM   #14
Starway Pictures

Why would anybody shoot this way in the real world? Narrative, television, documentary, even videography, wedding?
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:40 PM   #15
Major Player

I've been thinking the same thing, Robert. I think there's just a lot of geek interest in reverse engineering 24F. It's an esoteric puzzle that really amounts to very little.

Edit: My post was a little premature. Mike shot this way because he likes to push for a different look of Black and White in-camera. Using a red filter can enhance contrasts. He inadvertently stumbled onto something that messed with 24F however, and wanted people to see it, warts and all.

The geek interest thing was in reference not to the red filter/24F thing, but just this fascination with figuring out the 24F scheme.

Last edited by Barlow Elton; March 23rd, 2006 at 10:42 PM.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders