Difficulties with HDVxDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 24th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Difficulties with HDVxDV

I'm attempting to capture using the Canon XL H1 at 24f using the demo of HDVxDV. I have followed the instructions carefully and the software controls the camera just fine. When I tell the program to capture, it starts the camera and appears to be capturing, but when I stop capture and the captured file appears on my desktop, in the capture window there is nothing there. Furthermore the capture file is a Zero KB file.

I wonder what I am doing wrong.

Can anyone help in any way? This looks like a cool way to get my 24f files into Final Cut Pro.

Many thanks,
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have this happen to me about once a week. Rebooting the Mac always fixes it. In fact, when I capture with HDVxDV, I usually do a 'get info' on the file right after the capture starts. If the size is stilll zero bytes, I stop it, reboot and start again. Have always worked for me after a reboot. I haven't spent any effort trying to figure out what's going on. Someday I will.

Since I'm recent switcher from PC to Mac, I'm quite used to having to reboot to clear up strangeness!
John Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the tip. I wonder if anyone else has encountered this strange behaviour.

I'll try your system

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I have had exactly the same experience with a dual G5. I have not tried rebooting so can't comment of the efficacy of that fix. What I found was that it was impossible to transfer through any of the Firewire 400 ports no matter what I did but that I could transfer through a Firewire 800 PCI card provided that there was nothing else on the bus. Transfer was possible with other things on the bust but there would be frequent errors (as evidenced by mis coded blocks) if the bus was shared.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders