Workflow options? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Workflow options?

I'm about to purchase an H1 but I'm a little confused as to what choices are available for a FCP timeline. I'm particularly interested in SDI capture, but having read recent DV info posts about H1's 24F( no pulldown) and the fact that Apple does not mention 24F support, I need a little advice- ok, a lot of advice. What would be an effective SDI 24F workflow for FCP? Would the DVC PRO codec route be compatible. Is there anyone out there that has captured H1 SDI for FCP?
Thanks.

www.williamanderson.ca
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Major Player

In a nutshell:

--minumum: G5 dual 2.0 and above models
-- a Kona LH or Decklink SDI card.
--Capture into 1080i DVCproHD preset in FCP (from HDV tape or live SDI signal). You can also capture into PhotoJPEG which is a superb codec also. (75% at 1920x1080 is about 12MBs and looks nearly lossless) Audio is captured from analog out of the camera into either Kona XLR ins or G5 built-in miniplug. Don't worry, the latter is surprisingly good quality and holds sync in FCP.

And then this part is a bit of a PITA, but it will allow you to edit 24F material in a true 24P timeline until Apple finally graces us with true 24F support.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=63369

Remember, when you go the SDI/DV100 or other codec route, you're basically committing to editing and finishing to another format than HDV.

You can encode very nice HD DVD-ready h.264's from finished timelines in these intermediate codecs, and you can also master to a DVCproHD deck if so desired.

HTH,

Barlow
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Barlow. Great info. If not a little disappointing, to have it confirmed that 24F is not yet supported in FCP. Soon I hope.

www.williamanderson.ca
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders