Interval timer feature in the XL H1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 6th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #1
Tourist

Interval timer feature in the XL H1?

According to the Canon website, the XL2 has an interval feature, where the camera will record 0.5, 1, 1.5, or 2 seconds of video at a selected interval (every 30 seconds, every 1 minute, every 5 minutes, every 10 minutes). This would be really neat for time lapse videos.

Does the XL H1 also have this interval timer feature?
Nick Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Major Player

I haven't found it. I cannot for the life of me understand how Canon ommitted this feature.

Please tell me I'm wrong folks.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
I haven't found it. I cannot for the life of me understand how Canon ommitted this feature.

Please tell me I'm wrong folks.
I know the menu layout is likely different on the H1, but on the XL2, this feature is on page 2 of the camera setup menu. See if you have something similar. I can't imagine they would take this feature out either.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 12:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
I can't imagine they would take this feature out either.
I haven't checked yet, but here's a theory: If the Console application offers interval recording, I can very well see why Canon omitted the feature. And DTE/DTD-recorders like the FS-4 have the same functionality.

FWIW,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #5
Wrangler

Bingo!
Yeah, I like my Canon cameras but wasn't happy with their decision on that:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....4&postcount=23
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #6
Tourist

I don't really see the Console software as being a viable option. The interval timer is especially interesting to me for outdoors wildlife and landscape vista videos. Bringing a laptop along to work the console software just isn't an option.

The Firestore option is more reasonable, although it's an extra cost that I'm not sure I want to go with. The XL-H1 is expensive enough already.
Upon closer inspection, the FS-4 and FS-4 HD dont' provide time lapse functionality either, but the FS-4 Pro and FS-4 Pro HD do.

Not exactly the answer that I was hoping for.
Nick Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Nick, I whole-heartedly agree with you. I'm not trying to defend Canon omitting the feature. I was just trying to guess what went on during Canon engineering team XL-H1 feature list meetings.

About the FS-4 Pro HD: I agree it isn't cheap, but If you're not a firm believer in tape backup, such a DTE/DTD device can pay for itself rather quickly in tape costs saved - especially if you would otherwise choose high-quality tape stock.

FWIW,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Actually no HDV camcorder offers an intervalometer feature. I'm pretty sure it's a limitation of the MPEG2 encoding process and the interframe compression characteristics of GOP patterns. I would look at this not as a missing feature of the XL H1 but of HDV in general.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #9
Major Player

Agreed, the GOP-issue presents a problem here. But they could at least let you record JPEGs to the SD-card at specified intervals. You could fit quite a few on a 2 GB card...
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders