Downconvert question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 12th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #1
Trustee

Downconvert question

I have an XL2, but am looking at the XLH1 , or the Sony Z1. With the Z1 you use the ilink down convert function and record hdv to tape ,and sd to the firestore FS4 simultaneously. Can you do the same thing with the XLH1?
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Wrangler

See the following: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
Now there ARE some things that the SONY Z1U has that the Canon XL-H1 does not have that are worth noting......

5. it can downconvert footage to letterbox & crop in addition to the squeeze mode! (xlh1 only does anamorphic)

Albeit, I am happy it downconverts the HDV tapes to DV via FireWire (i am pretty bummed out that it doesnt downconvert to DV via FireWire while recording to HDV to tape)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Trustee

Boyd,
Thanks for the reference. I remember reading that (and laughing0 a while back.Excuse my confusion, but is he saying that the XLH1 CAN'T do what the Z1can?
"(i am pretty bummed out that it doesnt downconvert to DV via FireWire while recording to HDV to tape)"
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Trustee

Shannon Rawls continued-

In this next quote, I assume he's talking about the XLH1, right?

" Albeit, I am happy it downconverts the HDV tapes to DV via FireWire (i am pretty bummed out that it doesnt downconvert to DV via FireWire while recording to HDV to tape) "

So I guess the conclusion is that the XLH1 will record to the FS-4 only what you're shooting to tape(hdv or sd),while the Sony can shoot hdv, record hdv to tape , but record sd to the firestore.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders