Firestore fs-4 with XLH1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 30th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Could it have been Matt McEwen that he was referring you to? The way Canon's PD manager explained it to me made perfect sense... that Frame mode is transparent to the FS-C, that the FS-C wouldn't care if the incoming video was Frame mode or not. It's just a bit for bit copy of what goes to tape (or would have gone to tape if there's no tape in the cam). Meaning that yes, it's fully compatible with Frame mode video. But I would like to hear Focus verify that for us.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #17
Wrangler

Could have been Matt, but really not sure.

Anyway, it really is muddy. The XL H1 manual is a bit unclear, but I think from earlier discussions we've had on the forum about Frame Mode support in products like Cineform, it appears that the H1 manual is trying to tell us that during playback from 24F tape, the 1394 port sends out a pulldown 60i, but during live recording, the signal to both tape and the 1394 port is 24fps progressive. If correct, I could see how that 24p m2t data stream could be a problem for a device expecting a 60i signal...just as the existing HDV tape decks don't handle this variant of the HDV format. Cineform, for instance, updated their software to read the Canon 24F and 30F data streams.

The current Firestores ask you to pick a format from the list on the LCD...if your 1394 output doesn't match the spec, I don't know what happens. Since I'm not a Firestore user, can someone who uses an FS-4Pro confirm that it cannot handle 24F? If it can't, that fits with the discussion I had with Focus and leads me to believe that they haven't added explicit support. I do hope that is incorrect, though!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:28 AM   #18
Major Player

Pete, Chris,

Maybe the problem is in how different people understand word "compatible". If Canon says the FS-C and XL H1 are not compatible, they likely say that all details do not work as they should. And particularly, they mean the HDV frame mode playback from FS-C to XL H1 is not available -which applies to the CitiDISK HDVas well. But as Chris seems to suggest, the other way there are no problems in storing the frame mode signal from XL H1 to the recorder -which again, is the case with CitiDISK HDV.

We've lost standards in the modern world. The screws from one company do not fit properly with the bolts of another one. It's time consuming to try to figure out, how things work out in reality. And one can't rely on the ads; They never explain the critical issues, and in this sense, even Canon is not fully reliable -which is sad. The good thing is that in the modern world there are forums like this one, in which people can share their experience.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM   #19
Starway Pictures

I can't believe Focus doesn't have someone on these boards moderating disinformation about their products.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:30 PM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

They do, typically it's Matt McEwen, but he probably hasn't quite recovered from Vegas yet. NAB was grueling for everyone. Focus was busy every time I went by there.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #21
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

FS-4 and XL-H1

Gentleman. According to TapeWorks Texas inc.'s sources (mainly our Canon USA Representative), you are correct, the FS-4 is not wholly compatible with the Canon XL-H1 and its various record modes, at this time...However
Canon has been in touch with Focus regarding this incompatibility and are providing a solution. All current owners of the FS-4 will be able to purchase an upgrade from their local Focus Enhancements Dealer. No word yet on the cost or availability.
With TapeWorks Texas inc. promotion that includes the FS-4 with the purchase a XL-H1, Canon will actually be shipping this upgrade with the HDD DTE recorder to TapeWorks Texas inc. who will in turn ship it out to our clients at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE.
Feel free to contact TapeWorks Texas inc. toll free regarding this information
@866.827.3489. Ask for Scott or Jason
Jason Price is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders