DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Firestore fs-4 with XLH1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/65975-firestore-fs-4-xlh1.html)

Bruce S. Yarock April 26th, 2006 07:04 AM

Firestore fs-4 with XLH1?

I have two FS-4's upgraded to HD, and was wondering if anyone has used one with the XLH1.I rented a Sony Z1 and the fs-4 worked fine. Before I make my final decision on the XLH, I wanted to check if it would work with the FS 4.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Jeff Morrissette April 26th, 2006 07:24 AM

Can you record HD and not HDV to the firestore with canon?

Bruce S. Yarock April 26th, 2006 07:35 AM

I'm pretty sure it records the same thing to the firestore as it does to tape-hdv. When I trid it with the Sony, I ended up with m2t. files, and was able to edit easily in PPRO 2.0.
I think I'll call Videonics (Firestore) and ask them also. But I was really interested in finding out if somebody here is using this set up.
Bruce Yarock

Ron Pfister April 26th, 2006 08:07 AM

I was told by the Focus rep here in Switzerland that the FS-4 HD will simply record MPEG-2 transport streams (i.e. m2t files as mentioned before). As long as your NLE-system can handle these files (FCP can't, for example), there shouldn't be a problem with basic operation.

AFAIK, the list of compatible cameras published by Focus refers to cameras that can fully control the FS-4 (i.e. start/stop). I've been able to use the FS-4 on many 'incompatible' DV-devices (including ADCs) without a problem, but needed to start/stop recording manually. To what extent the same applies to HDV, I don't know, but I assume that the situation is the same as with DV.

HTH,

Ron

Bruce S. Yarock April 26th, 2006 08:43 AM

Ron,
The Sony files were m2t, and Premiere Pro 2.0 handled them with no problems. As long as the XLH1 creates the same files, it should work ok.
Bruce Yarock

Ron Pfister April 26th, 2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
As long as the XLH1 creates the same files, it should work ok.

Agreed. And it will very likely be so - after all, it's an MPEG-2 transport stream that travels through the FireWire with HDV. It shouldn't even matter whether it's 60i/50i/30F/25F/24F - heck, the FS-4 Pro might even be able to play back the frame-modes. Does anyone know?

Vince Gaffney April 26th, 2006 09:41 AM

Focus announced two new firestore units this week - FS C-HD60 and HD100 that are specifically designed for the XL H1. They record DTE files that are said to be compatible with most NLEs.

I cannot find which NLE's specifically.

Pete Bauer April 26th, 2006 10:59 AM

Unfortunately, I specifically queried the Focus guys here at NAB about Canon XL H1 F-mode support, and was told that do NOT support it. So even the upcoming FS-C will not do Canon 24F or 30F. My subjective impression from the discussion was that it just isn't on their radar screen, making me think that Focus' H1 support will remain limited to 60i for quite some time.

Robert Sanders April 27th, 2006 12:07 PM

Jesus, how hard is it to write a reverse pulldown script? What's going on with Canon's cadence that Apple and Focus can't seem to get their act together to support it?

Lauri Kettunen April 27th, 2006 12:57 PM

Interesting, I've been using the CitiDisk HDV for some weeks with the XL H1 and I shoot in the 25F mode. I use Cineform's HDLink to transform the m2t files to avi files and edit with Premiere Pro 2.0. Have not observed any problems.

Barlow Elton April 27th, 2006 01:33 PM

25F is a completely different world. It's just there without "pulldown" in a 50i stream.

Ron Pfister April 27th, 2006 01:33 PM

Maybe this boils down to an issue of what's officially 'supported' and what's not. E.g. the FS-4 does not officiall support DVCPro25, but if you choose raw DV as the file format, recording DVCPro25 works just fine. Anyone with first-hand experience with XL-H1 frame modes on the FS-4 HD?

Robert Sanders April 27th, 2006 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pfister
Maybe this boils down to an issue of what's officially 'supported' and what's not. E.g. the FS-4 does not officiall support DVCPro25, but if you choose raw DV as the file format, recording DVCPro25 works just fine. Anyone with first-hand experience with XL-H1 frame modes on the FS-4 HD?

Good luck getting an answer out of anyone on this issue. I've been wondering myself for a long time and still can't get a straight answer.

Chris Hurd April 29th, 2006 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Unfortunately, I specifically queried the Focus guys here at NAB about Canon XL H1 F-mode support, and was told that do NOT support it. So even the upcoming FS-C will not do Canon 24F or 30F.

Here's what is strange, Pete -- I asked Canon's product development manager the same question as he was showing me the FS-C in the Canon booth, and he said it *does* support the Frame modes. Looks like I'll have to check with my contacts at Focus for a clarification.

Pete Bauer April 30th, 2006 08:02 AM

Definitely worth a re-check, Chris.

A Focus guy at the Canon booth referred me to another specific guy downstairs at the actual Focus area (sorry, at this point I don't remember names) to answer the question aout the upcoming FS-C...but I still kind of didn't get the warmest fuzzy about the answer. Seems amazing they wouldn't be trying to support it; maybe I ended up talking to the wrong guy and he just didn't want to say, "I dunno." ;-)