Marshall 7" issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 1st, 2006, 02:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Marshall 7" issues

I just got off the phone with Marshall Eletronics. The V-R70P-HDA monitor, that I purchased to work with my XL H1 cannot display the correct pixel aspect ration from the HD composite (D) jack, and it doesn't accept the HD-SDI signal.
It does display a very nice high resolution image, but the HDA monitor cannot correct for the 1.33 pixel aspect ratio.

The more expensive Marshall V-R70P-HDSDI will accept the HD-SDI signal and correctly display the image. I was shooting an interview last week and noticed that the persons head was way too wide on the Marshall. I'm trying to work out an exchange with Marshall.

If you are going to purchase a Marshall, purchase the HDSDI model!
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Barry, Thanks,
I am tryingg to work out how much I need one.
It seems crutial for perfect focus (esp with a 35mm adapter)
How good does it appear to be for the super fine adjustments in manual focus.
Give us a review when you get it
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Dam* it. I just got the V-R70P-HDA.

Hmm... Barry, given that you stated that it works good three weeks ago, how annoying is the aspect ration thing on location? (I haven't got the XLH1 yet) If you just noticed it, it cannot be to much of an issue, right?

Are there any parts of the image missing on screen? Are there black bars top/bottom?

"the persons head was way too wide". Strange, I would have assumed that the image is rather compressed horizontally than expanded, since it is missing the 1.33 pixel aspect ratio, displaying the 1440x1080 instead of scaling it to 1920x1080 - and then down-rez it to 800x450.

Thanks,
Jack
Jack Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Foley
Dam* it. I just got the V-R70P-HDA.

Hmm... Barry, given that you stated that it works good three weeks ago, how annoying is the aspect ration thing on location? (I haven't got the XLH1 yet) If you just noticed it, it cannot be to much of an issue, right?

Are there any parts of the image missing on screen? Are there black bars top/bottom?

"the persons head was way too wide". Strange, I would have assumed that the image is rather compressed horizontally than expanded, since it is missing the 1.33 pixel aspect ratio, displaying the 1440x1080 instead of scaling it to 1920x1080 - and then down-rez it to 800x450.

Thanks,
Jack
Well, on location shooting scenes without people I didn't notice the aspect ratio error. So I guess it's not that annoying. No black bars, full image on Marshall HDA.

Shooting a CD as a round subject, very square to camera. Even the EVF doesn't display a round image. I'm getting a 94.5 percent oval in both the EVF and in the Marshall. Is my H1 in error? Anybody else?
Barry
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:28 PM   #5
Starway Pictures

$2000! Ouch!!!!
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders
$2000! Ouch!!!!
Search for a better price. I think I saw $1575 or thereabouts somehwere.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:12 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Strange, the component out on my H1 is 1920x1080.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I really think this may be a problem with my camera. I spoke to Canon Service yesterday and they say they have never heard of the problem. Both the Marshall and my EVF are showing the same stretching of the image. Canon wants me to send in the camera, lens and EVF for service.

Is anyone else seeing a stretching of the image in their EVF?

Thanks, Barry
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:31 PM   #9
Trustee

Barry,
Do you have any other monitors in house you can look at to see if the output of the camera is stretched somehow? Canon probably doesn't know what you are talking about so you might want to record it on tape and send them the tape first. They at least should give you a loaner if you have to send the camera in.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I took a digital still image of the EVF and sent that with the camera to Canon. My dealer has agreed to provide a loaner camera if I need one.

The image is stretched on the EVF and the Marshall. However when I send the signal to my Panasonic 17 inch, it is just fine. It makes no sense to me.

Thanks, Barry

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders