Canon XLH1 and Macintosh F C Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XLH1 and Macintosh F C Pro

Final Cut Pro and HDV

Not quite taken the plunge yet guys, but it will likely be Canon when I do. What is all the Hoo - Ha about problems editing Canon HDV footage in Final Cut Pro and what is the best Macontosh configuration.

Rod C
Rodney Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

European models (25F) no problem. Record HDV. Don´t worry about the MPEG2, it looks stunning. Use good tapes to prevent dropouts. Capture using HDV or Apple Intermediate capture presets. Edit in a sequence using HDV 1080i50 compressor (25F and 50i are both interlaced streams) and 1440x1080 frame size. I have a G5 dual 2mhz and it works fine with two streams in multicam, but don´t expect more than color correction in real-time. With 4 streams it´s still playing but preview starts to degrade.

The cam itself is amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon XLH1 and Macintosh F C Pro-bilde-7.png  
Kristian Indrehus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Scandinavia rules o.k

Hi,

Thanks for that. What version of FCP are we talking about please?

I am looking to set up a complete editing suite. What card and monitor do you use? Any other tips.

Last comments - re Camera; Do you care to expand on comments re amazing.

Rod C
Rodney Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You need at least FCP 5.0 to edit HDV, but the latest 5.1 universal upgrade renders quicker on Intel processors as well as power PC's and you need all the horsepower you can afford.

I use a Sony 800-lines CRT monitor and Black Magic Deck-link. It´s all SD, the card down-converts realtime. I plan to upgrade to HD soon, maybe somebody else here can recommend good options.

Amazing:
I have carried a JVC GY-DV500 with a good Canon lens for almost three years and it always gave better results than cameras like PD-170 and DVX-100. Still I was never really satisfied. Now I am. XL-H1 is just a hole new world. Feels like 16mm or better. A very pleasent look and color correcting feels more like tweaking 4:2:2 colors though MPEG is indeed 4:2:0. 25F is interlaced stream but looks as progressive as can be. I was a bit worried about the automatic lens. Turns out to be a big help in many ways. HD is very critical when it comes to focus and a small LCD WF is not sharp enough to focus properly. Anyway, to have this kind of quality from a cam this size is pure joy. I simply love it. You can´t go wrong with this one.
Kristian Indrehus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Hej Kristian,
I'm still a bit confused by the setting of FCP for XL H1 25F material. Should the 1080i50 or the newer 1080p25 setting be preferred when editing in Final Cut Pro? Both seems to work.
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

--

Johan, I believe both ways work because the 25F stream itself is interlaced. Each of the two fields of 25F are showing half a progressiv frame. When played back the two fields appear as one progressive frame much like the prosess of actual film telecined to interlaced video for broadcast.

I don't claim to be an expert here but this is how I believe it to be.

In FCP I would choose 1080P25 to make shure no material including effects renders as interlaced.

Godt Nytt År!
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

--

Johan, I believe both ways work because the 25F stream itself is interlaced. Each of the two fields of 25F are showing half a progressiv frame. When played back the two fields appear as one progressive frame much like the prosess of actual film telecined to interlaced video for broadcast.

I don't claim to be an expert here but this is how I believe it to be.

In FCP I would choose 1080P25 to make shure no material including effects renders as interlaced.

Godt Nytt År!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders