Comments on web film shot with H1 appreciated - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 14th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #16
Trustee

i'm a purchasing manager in a windows mfr and i see videos like this for various industrial machine frequently. miniDV is more than adequate for applications like this. i think XL H1 is overkill for these types of applications. what is needed is a miniDV type cam that records to MPEG4 or web-ready codecs where the user can just copy it from a solid state memory and ftp it directly to the web and have people d/l or stream it to local clients.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:21 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
... where the user can just copy it from a solid state memory and ftp it directly to the web ...
Hello Yi Fong Yu,
I agree with you in the first part; the XL H1 is overkill just to shoot a web film and my intention was not to just shoot for the web either.
I like to get good quality when I'm doing something. I have worked for Hasselblad and are a bit picky about picture quality.

If I shoot something with the H1 then a client can bring the full resolution film to an exhibition for instance so they don't need to shoot twice.

And when you are shooting you never know what will happen! Better to have resources if you suddenly need it. You never know what footage will be appreciated much later.

But to ftp a P2 or other memory content directly to the web?? Without edit and any adjustment of the sound? That's not for me. The customers could do that by themselves. In fact they did this first in a way with a digital still camera. Their distributors complained about the quality so they called me ...

In fact I am very impressed with this camera. To me, this is the first video recorder which does not look "video". It is more like you participated there yourself. You don't immediately see you are watching an unsharp picture made up of pixels. You can read small signs and placards, much closer to the resolution of your eye.

With previous video technique you saw signs but the letters were way too unsharp to read despite they were big enough.
Frankly, for me video has been too unsharp until now. But that is my opinion and I'm sure many will not agree. I think this camera opens up landscape photography to the film folks. Now you don't need to just stay with close ups to get stunning pictures.
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders