PC users - what's your workflow? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 11th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #1
Disjecta

PC users - what's your workflow?

I apologize if this has been asked before, my browser is acting weird and it not allowing me to do a search. Wow, that sounds like "the dog ate my homework" LOL

Anyway, I am currently using Premiere Pro 2.0 with Cineform's Aspect HD and, while I am having success capturing the footage, there are issues with accurate rendering of effects and also issues with exporting the footage out to the camera.

What are you guys using to externall monitor your footage? I read somewhere that it's possible to do it with a $200 video card but I'm wondering how good this is. I would be monitoring out to a HD plasma.

I'm also curious as to how you guys are dealing with export and writing back to tape.

Thanks
Steven Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #2
Trustee

Steven,
I don't have an XLH1 yet, but have a Sony FX1 (along with my xl2).We use PPRO 2.0, and I plan to get aspest Hd and Mbullet. I'm in the process of building a video-only computer, and did research on the best video card.I bought the nvidia quadro540, which comes with a break out box. The box has comp out for hdtv or monitor,plus composit and s video out. The card itself gives you dual monitor capability.
I haven't used the Qudro card yet, but the break out box works fine on my Ati card. In addition to dual monitors, you can have an hdtv, and two SD moitors!
Think that's enough...lol.
If you buy the quadro card MAKE SURE it comes with the break out box.Some places sell it without.
Bruce S. Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #3
Disjecta

Bruce, thanks, does the Quadro card fit in a regular PCI slot or is it looking for one of those longer PCI-X slots?
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Trustee

It wouldn't fit with my current mother board. you need Pci express capability.
Bruce Yarock
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Disjecta

Did you upgrade your motherboard?
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #6
Trustee

Not yet. We're still trying to deceide which chip and mboard to use.
Bruce Yarock
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #7
Disjecta

Sheesh, nothing is easy, is it?
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:39 PM   #8
New Boot

Hi,

I use a supermicro motherboard with 2 x xeon.

I think it is better than a dual P4.

Peter
Peter Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:02 AM   #9
New Boot

Graphics Card for HD Monitoring

Matrox Parhelia PCIe is worth a look. The Nvidia card can only do one DVI + HD Component out. The Matrox can do three screens (actually four) two DVI + HD component out. I've heard it is not a great card for 3D but for monitoring it is much better then Nvidia. Since Mbullet uses OpenGL accelaeration I would ask for a demo from a video dealer to see how well the Matrox performs. Also, for more speed use a dual dual-core Opteron base system. Runs cooler then the Xeons.
Ernesto Sanchez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders