XL H1 HD SDI capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL H1 HD SDI capture

I have Xl H1, and would like to capture HD SDI, what do I need to capture to?
I have HP XW8200 Workstation with Matrox RTX 100 card.
but I dont have BNC input, how do I capture HD SDI footage?

THank you
Nerses Papoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Deck Link Multibridge Extreme vs Matrox Axio

Hello,

I need some proffesional advise,
I'm planing to purchase the Multibridge Extreme, and kind of cofused if I'm doing the right thing,
I use Xl H-1 camcorder with HP XW 8200 Workstation with Nvidia FX4500 Quadro , Premiere Pro 2.0 After Effects 7.0 and 2 23" HP 2335 Monitors.
I would like to get the best quality from XL H1, and Output to HD DVD, such as Events, like Weedings and Bithdays.

Wich one would you recomend to get the Matrox Axio? or the Decklink Multibridge Extreme? and do I need special DVD burner in order to burn HD DVD?

Thank you in advance
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Wrangler

Nerses,

I moved your two posts from the XDCAM and JVC HD forums into their own new thread in the HD / HDV Editing Solutions forum because those forums are about those cameras and your questions relate to generic HD-SDI ingest and post-production.

From your thread in the Cineform forum, you're already aware of one PC solution: Prospect Ingest HD (with AJA card), a really fast PC, and your XL H1 and hopefully you will find more solutions here in this forum as well as through the search function.

Please also take a moment to fill in your profile. Location (city and state if in US, city and country if outside US) is required by the Terms of Service, and other info such as listing your gear and interests is optional but helpful.

FWIW, my opinion is that HD-SDI would be very difficult for event videography and really not worth it. The 1080 HDV that the XL H1 puts out will be far more than adequate for virtually any customer and a lot easier to shoot the action.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:41 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Pete, I went one step further and moved the combined thread into the XL H1 forum. Maybe some other H1 owners will have some input here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:50 AM   #5
New Boot

How to capture Uncompresssed from XLH1

On the Mac side I reccommend AJA capture cards. For Windows I hope the Xena line is every bit as good as the Kona line has been for Mac editors. I believe the BM HD cards only have AES/EBU audio input so a D/A converter is needed for audio. The Multibridge Extreme can capture analog audio natively. Capturing timecode and deck control are the tough nuts to crack when it comes to the XLH1. For both I use the Firewire port in DV mode when capturing from the SDI and RCA outs.
Ernesto Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Nerses, I've got a decklink hd pro which i'm using on my pc to capture through the sdi on the XLH1. It definatley takes a bit of fiddling about to get it to work, and you'll need a quick set of hard drives to capture the footage. And I have to go through the spdif on my dat player to get sound on the same file which is a pain, but that's the cameras fault and not the card. I don't know about the matrox card but the decklink works fine. You just have to kick it occasionally.
Martin Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:04 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thannk

Thanks for advises, really apriciate that.

No I decided to to purchase the card yet, because in order to capture uncomressed HD it has to be studi situation pretty much, and I dont have any studio.
What I'm going to do is mainly TV commercials, and Weedings,

what do you guys think, what should I purchase to get nice video.
I was looking at JIBBS and Tracks, thinking to do TV commercials for local car dealers, if you see the commercials they have, its just regular tripod shots, and helicopter shots, using shoulder cam, shaking shot.
I want to do something different here, and want to purchase the right equipment, so I can use with my XL H1
Any suggestions will help a lot.
I will list what I have, and you guys if possible help me out what else do I need to get in order to deliver much higher quality and get the projects.

I'm using HP XW8200, 2x3.4 intel xenons, 6mb ram, 2 250GB 7200 RPM drives.
NVidia quadro FX 4500,
After Effects 7.0 Premire Pro 2.0
Canon XL H1
Bogen Mofoto 3046 with a 3063 fluid head (shipped on the way)
CRANE 12FT COBRA 1 JIB BOOM W/LCD MONITOR (never used yet)
Bescor AK-12ATM, $340, (on the way)
Extra Canon Batteries, 2 of them

Was Thinking about to get tracks, and Stabilizer system, and lighting kit to light up food, TV commercials for first of all my restaurant, and after I get good in that, I will do for clients, so I have an opportunity to show my AD on the TV at all the time.

If you guys can help me, please

Thank you
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:16 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Costa
Nerses, I've got a decklink hd pro which i'm using on my pc to capture through the sdi on the XLH1. It definatley takes a bit of fiddling about to get it to work, [...] You just have to kick it occasionally.
Martin, can you please elaborate a bit on the "fiddling" and "kick it" thing. I've got the very same card and am about to purchase an XL H1 these days.

Thank you!
Wolfgang Neun
Wolfgang Neun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Wolfgang, I had a few problems initially with the decklink capture interface, as most of the buttons are for when your connected to a deck. I found that it would continually quit when I asked it to stop capturing. I played about with the prefs for a while and found that 1080i 25hertz using the blackmagic 10 bit codec to be the most reliable.

However on restarting my pc and using these settings again I had problems with the software quitting out. I'm using the latest drivers by the way. I moved on to premiere 2 where I had no capture difficulties whatsoever It all seemed to be cool. And then I noticed that the audio was 6 frames out of sync.

I did a couple of tests and it was consistent. Not a problem i'll just move the audio track 6 frames up to sync. This is what lead me to filming a watch which you can see in the xlh1 clips secion. The footage was speeding up after 2 seconds and gaining in speed? Weird. (this is still a problem in prem 2)

I reinstalled a previous version of the decklink drivers and all seems to be well, capturing from decklink with the audio in perfect sync.

Sorry to ramble.
Martin Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:38 PM   #10
Major Player

HD or SD SDI Capture with Aja Xena LH

Anyone with experience capturing this subject video stream to a fast raid using the Xena LH? With or without Cineform ProspectHD "Ingest" level codec.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Costa
Sorry to ramble.
Martin, Thank you for your in-depth explanation! It will help me a lot. Oh why can't it just be simple and easy?
Wolfgang Neun is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders