No 1394 output at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 12th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Great DV dot com

No 1394 output

Need some help from you Canon-ites. Have an XLH1 here to use in testing some other equipment, and we cannot get it to output 1394 in VCR mode. Will output live signal fine, but when in VCR mode No dice.

In the VCR menu settings, SIGNAL/PLAYBACK STANDARD is grayed out, as is HD DOWNCONVERT. I assume that this means there is some other setting or switch that is wrong, but the manual is comletely non-informative on the subject and I'm danged if I can find it. Been through every menu setting on both VCR and CAM side and every switch I can find. No dice. Trying to play back an HDV tape recorded on the same unit.

Since I only use Canon cameras once in a blue moon, I'm often bit by some thing like this that probably all Canon afficionados can do in their sleep.

Anyone know what this is? TX in advance.
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Disjecta

You cannot preview the camera using firewire if that's what you are trying to do. You can output your finished footage to tape but it won't allow you to view your timeline through firewire as you edit.

You will need a card such as Blackmagic Decklink to preview your timeline on an external monitor. Hey, I'm selling mine if you are interested :)
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #3
Great DV dot com

Thanks for responding, but that's not what I'm trying to do -- trying to output 1394 to computer or (in this case) disk recorder. No dice. Tested on a Mac FCP, PC with PPro2 and the disk recorder.

The menu selections that the manual specifies to set for output to a computer are grayed out.
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #4
Trustee

John,

If you are trying to downconvert, then try this thread:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=63720

You have to wait till after you set up the menu before plugging in the 1394. I was a little worried about frying the port by plugging in with the power on, but it seems to work.

Good Luck.

Ken
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #5
Great DV dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert
You have to wait till after you set up the menu before plugging in the 1394.
Aha, that was it! This is a Canon-specific quirk - the Sony and JVC products don't do this. Thanks for your help.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders