DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Help with capturing 25F (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/69651-help-capturing-25f.html)

Axel Pauporte June 16th, 2006 06:15 AM

Help with capturing 25F

Hi,

I'm trying to capture 25F footage and I'm having serious issues...
I tried capturing on a G5 with FCP 5.1 and keep having timecode issues... I also tried with a new Mac Book Pro 17'' and it does the same thing :
It works kind of ok in "capture now" mode , but when I put in and out points and try to "batch capture" it doesn't work properly at all... it never finds the timecode of the first clip and gives an error message or sometimes it finds it and captures it, but in 2 seperate clips, etc...
I chose the 50i mode in the settings as I understand the Canon 25F is a "fake progressive mode" and really is 50 interlace, is that right ?
Anyways, would anyone have experienced the same ? If you can make it work on your system, would you please tell me what your entire system set-up is...?! and how to capture 25F in a RELIABLE way, as I have over 50 hours of footage to go thru...! Even if I have to switch to a PC, I would be ready to do that at this point to be able to start working... What other software allows to capture 25F properly ???
Any help would be great
Thanks in advance.

Ron Pfister June 16th, 2006 06:31 AM

While I can't give you any direct advice on 25F, I'd like to note that FCP has severe problems with batch captures of footage with TC-breaks. Did you use free-run TC? If so, that could well be your problem - your only option would be to use Capture Now, and FCP would then create a new clip at each TC break. You would loose the first 2s12f of each clip if you set pre-roll duration to 1 second, and correspondingly more if you use longer pre-roll.

HTH,

Ron

Axel Pauporte June 16th, 2006 07:11 AM

Thanks Ron, but no, I did not use free-run TC.
Anybody out there editing with 25F ??

Ed Moore June 25th, 2006 07:24 AM

Hi Axel, I had similar problems which I eventually realised stemmed from a combination of batch capture and the 'make new clip on TC break' settings in the Batch Capture window. I suspect what was happening was that FCP would get so caught up in making a new clip automatically that it screwed up the system which was trying to cue up exactly to a particular timecode point.

But as Ron says, free run or time of day timecode is not a luxury one can afford when using batch captures.

Axel Pauporte June 25th, 2006 08:37 AM

Thanks very much Ed, but did you find a working solution to that problem ?
(FYI : I did not use free run or time of day TC)

Daniel Epstein June 25th, 2006 08:45 AM

Axel,
HDV does not work as well in Batch Capture as DV. Capture Now is the preferred method. I found logging clips only worked about 50% of the time. This improved if I actually stopped the tape to get the in and out numbers.

Ed Moore June 25th, 2006 01:01 PM

Hi Axel, yep I just turned off the 'make new clip on TC break' option.

Good luck!