mixing and matching HDV cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 25th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #1
Major Player

mixing and matching HDV cameras

I'm in a bit of a predicament, I hope you guys can help out. I'm about to buy 2 HDV cameras, and one of them is the JVC HD100. I can either buy 1 JVC and 1 XLh1 or 2 JVCs. The shoot that i'm doing is going to be done in HD, cut in HD, and output in SD. I know the Canon doesn't do 720p and the JVC does, so will this become a problem when both cams are acquiring principal photography in HD?

Woudl the best route be to get the 2 diff cams, and simply switch em to the SD mode for the job?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Why don't to try 1 XL-H1 and 1 Sony Z1, as they both shoot 1080. I can only imagine that this would better than one at 1080, and the other 720.
James Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I would go for 2 HD-100's...
Not because I don't like the Canon, but it's easier to have 2 same camera's for matching, same accesoires, same deck's, same postproduction flow,...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Trustee

Spike,
I agree with Mathieu.
Since you are committed to one JVC you might as well go with another JVC since you can share batts and accessories between the two and the post will be the same process from each camera. Not sure which edit systems handle the JVC 24 and 30 modes correctly at this point.
If you don't go with a JVC then you can mix and match the Canon and Sony as James suggests but you don't get the advantage of shared accesories (Batts and Chargers) as easily and you currently have to shoot in 1080i 60 or 50 to keep the Post flow the same on both units.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #5
Major Player

I also agree. As a very happy owner of an H1, I love to recommend that any time possible. However, it's always better to stick with the same camera if doing multicam.

I also agree that if you are going to mix/match, definitely go with the Canon/Sony pair. I successfully matched these 2 cameras recently shooting an opera. The Canon was closeups, the SONY was LS's and it matches great.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #6
Major Player

thanks for the advice, it makes perfect sense. However, the production is not to be in HD, in that case, can't I just switch both cams to SD mode, and the output will basically be the same? I just need to confirm that..
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #7
Wrangler

Not saying it can't be done, but I agree with the other guys that you're adding painful complexity to your process by using different cameras. Different sensors, different A-D conversion, different in-camera processing (gamma curve algorithms etc), and different formats.

Personally, I even find it a bother to match a Canon XL2 and Canon XL H1, much less footage from cameras built by different manufacturers. You can do it, but are pretty much guaranteed to need a lot of extra attention to detail and time to get all the footage looking consistent in the end.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Major Player

24F downconverts very, very well to 720p. If it looks sharper than the JVC just soften the image slightly.(don't over-enhance the JVC) You will likely need to cc a little in post to roughly match the look of both cameras, but I think it's achievable. The bigger problem you might have is that the JVC is actually noisier than the XLH1 so you might have to make even more adjustments on the set or in post due to this.

Like the others said though, it'll probably save you a lot of trouble just to shoot with two HD100's.

One word of advice: Finish everything entirely in HD and then downconvert to SD. You will have a nice HD master if ever needed without any further work required.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm willing to do the extra work to match the cameras simply because I don't want to end up with 2 of the same kind of camera, I would very much like to "futureproof" by having 1 of each kind.

I'm a bit confused about the downconversion though, if everything is shot in HD mode, when capturing from the canon, how is the downconversion done to be brought down to 720p, especially if theres existing jvc footage in the timeline...

thanks
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #10
Major Player

Get your Canon and JVC footage captured this way:http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....40&postcount=7

Instead of outputting 1080p 24p files from HDV 24F m2t's, just have MPEG Streamclip scale it to progressive 720 24p. (23.976 for NTSC drop frame timecode compatibility)

Take your JVC m2t's and export to PhotoJPEG or DVCProHD, AIC etc. and simply export the Canon m2t's to the same frame size and codec. (1280x720)
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #11
Major Player

Barlow, that link you mentioned, its for Macs, is there a similar pathway for windows as well? Its making a lot more sense now than before, so thanks for the advice.
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #12
Major Player

MPEG Streamclip is cross platform. You can capture m2t's with CapDVHS or something like that. Do a search for HDV capture programs on Windows. There's always Vegas or Premiere Pro to get the raw m2t's, but you will need to scale the Canon footage to 720p or upscale the JVC footage 1080p. I recommend the former.

Once you've got all the footage in a good intermeditate codec, (it might be possible to convert both camera's m2t's to CineForm which is the best intermediate for Windows) then you can edit in your program of choice.
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #13
Major Player

yeah i think Cineform will the answer to all problems. I had a quick question about the xlh1. It has HD-SDI out, but to really make use of that, you would need a deck that has that sort of input, right? Where does the decklink hd pro come in?
Old June 25th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #14
Major Player

The only way the Decklink Pro comes into play is if you are willing to be tethered to a computer and want to capture uncompressed live camera head signal, which can be recorded to various formats that are technically better (as far as negating the possibility of motion artifacts) than HDV.

I've done this with my Kona card and FCP, but as you would expect, using a workstation-level computer for capturing footage in the field is not exactly a trivial undertaking.

SDI cards are great for live scrubbing/monitoring of HD timelines however. This is the only way to go if you need an accurate HD signal to reference.

Last edited by Barlow Elton; June 25th, 2006 at 10:07 PM.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders