Is the XL H1 viable for weddings? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #31
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UT
Posts: 945
How many wedding videographer cameras do you know of that could genlock with F900's in an HD multicam shoot? :) It may a bit overpriced for wedding/event, but it sure isn't--in general--when you consider its capabilities.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #32
Disjecta
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 937
My XLH1 does way better in low light in HDV mode than my SD DVX100A or B. The difference between the HVX200 and the XLH1, from what I have seen and experienced is that the XLH1 gives a much more pleasing fine grain (more akin to fast film grain) whereas the HVX goes crazy in the colored dancing digital noise department.

This is definitely a quantifiable difference in my book.
__________________
Try my Digital Therapy: http://www.pinelakefilms.com/digital_therapy.html
Films on ExposureRoom: http://exposureroom.com/members/disjecta.aspx/videos/
Steven Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #33
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey
My XLH1 does way better in low light in HDV mode than my SD DVX100A or B. The difference between the HVX200 and the XLH1, from what I have seen and experienced is that the XLH1 gives a much more pleasing fine grain (more akin to fast film grain) whereas the HVX goes crazy in the colored dancing digital noise department.

This is definitely a quantifiable difference in my book.
Exactly.....

In my experience the DVX100 was a darn good low light camera too. It was much better than the XL1 or XL2 for sure. So to have HD resolution and good light sensitivity is a cool combo for the H1.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #34
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
How many wedding videographer cameras do you know of that could genlock with F900's in an HD multicam shoot? :) It may a bit overpriced for wedding/event, but it sure isn't--in general--when you consider its capabilities.
No doubt that if you need the features the XLH1 offers then it's a fair deal for the price. But that wasn't the original question, and for event work the XLH1 probably isn't the right camera for most people. If you're planning to buy one anyway, it sounds like people who have it are successfully using it for events.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #35
Disjecta
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 937
If you can deal with the size and weight of the camera, it is a killer machine. I was nervous switching from Panasonic to Canon because I thought I'd lose that "unique" look but the Canon is every bit as good as the Panasonic if not better because of the vast array of settings. Anyway, that's just my opinion but I can see good arguments for form factor.
__________________
Try my Digital Therapy: http://www.pinelakefilms.com/digital_therapy.html
Films on ExposureRoom: http://exposureroom.com/members/disjecta.aspx/videos/
Steven Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #36
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Conway, NH
Posts: 574
Is there anyone out there who owns an XL H1 and can post some low light images at various gain settings compared against another camera? Surely there must be someone who has access to another HD camera or even an SD camera like the PD170 or DVX100a.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #37
New Boot
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 22
Different images from different HD cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds
Is there anyone out there who owns an XL H1 and can post some low light images at various gain settings compared against another camera? Surely there must be someone who has access to another HD camera or even an SD camera like the PD170 or DVX100a.

This is in another thread and it will provide you with what you asked for; comparing HD cams anyway

http://www.dv.com/print_me.jhtml?articleId=189500064
Scott Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #38
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Conway, NH
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Casper
This is in another thread and it will provide you with what you asked for; comparing HD cams anyway

http://www.dv.com/print_me.jhtml?articleId=189500064
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it doesn't really have any low light tests. It does have overexposure and underexposure tests, but it's not the same.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #39
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vittsjö, SKÅNE, SWEDEN
Posts: 266
One thing is sure, you draw a lot of attention to you when you put the H1 on your shoulder. No discrete filming anymore. For instance I landed with a flight at an airport in Greece. There was signs telling "No photographs - restricted military area" but many tourists took up their small mini-DV cameras and filmed in all directions. None reacted. But what if I had pulled that hefty XL H1 out of the box? I didn't dare ...
An advantage could be some thinks you are from TV and doesn't ask about permission to enter here and there ... /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network