Shoot The Moon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old July 8th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shoot The Moon

Okay, I'm no DP but I should be able to handle this myself. Every time I point my XLH1 skyward, the moon gets blown out, appearing like a big glowing ball, I can see no texture or detail. What kind of filters/techniques do I need to do this?
Brad Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Trustee

Remember that the moon is really reflecting sunlight so it is very bright blue source. Throw in the ND and try a daylight white balance.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Brad, you have seen my various lunar shots, right?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=68960

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=67201

The trick is to expose properly. Due to the brightness of the moon, it is not a night shot but rather a day shot. Try an aperture of f/5.6 to f/8.0, and a shutter speed to match, best results at 1/100th to 1/250th.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #4
Major Player

The moon's albedo (reflectance) is close to 18% in other words it's a great big gray card in the sky illuminated by sunlight. Thus an exposure measured for a gray card in daylight should be about right for the moon at night. Try turning on your zebra bars at 70 IRE. Set the exposure to just extinguish the zebra pattern and then reduce 1 stop. This should be about right but confirm by zooming in as far as possible, using the FOCUS magnifier and looking for detail. A monitor hooked up to the camera is, of course, the best way of getting it just as you like it.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #5
Disjecta

If you are looking to get shots where the moon is registering some detail and you also want some landscape in the shot, your best bet is to shoot in the magic hour when the moon is rising. Stop down and you will be able to get a decent shot of both landscape and moon.

Failing that, an ND grad filter can help somewhat.
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #6
Wrangler

Study up, all you moon-shooters. Full moon tonight!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders