DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   4 Audio Channel editing on FCP 5.1.1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/72385-4-audio-channel-editing-fcp-5-1-1-a.html)

David Kinsella July 27th, 2006 02:55 AM

4 Audio Channel editing on FCP 5.1.1

Hello from Norway!
I have just recieved my new Final Cut Studio 5.1.1, I have been using FCP 4.5 for the last 2 years.
I was wondering if anybody knows how I can import the 4 audio channels. I have recorded 4 channels on my Canon XLH1 HDV camera, I find when I try to import from the HDV tape, I can only import 2 channels, how do I get the 4 channels I have recorded.( I have already recorded 25 tapes for a doc film )
I use PAL
I was told that I could import channel 1 and 2 with the video, then import 3 and 4 seperatly? I checked and it seems that I only get the choice of channels 1 and 2, I do not have the oppertunity to choose the channels 3 or 4 from my FCP 5.1.1?
Importing 1 and 2 the then 3 and 4 later would by far be the easiest choice for me. I am importing directly from my Canon XL H1

Pete Bauer July 27th, 2006 04:51 AM

David, I split your post from this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=72008

since it is a separate topic from what was being discussed there. This will give your question better visibility and also not "hijack" the topic of the original thread. I don't use FCP so sorry I can't answer your question.

Greg Boston July 27th, 2006 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kinsella
Hello from Norway!
I have just recieved my new Final Cut Studio 5.1.1, I have been using FCP 4.5 for the last 2 years.
I was wondering if anybody knows how I can import the 4 audio channels. I have recorded 4 channels on my Canon XLH1 HDV camera, I find when I try to import from the HDV tape, I can only import 2 channels, how do I get the 4 channels I have recorded.( I have already recorded 25 tapes for a doc film )
I use PAL
I was told that I could import channel 1 and 2 with the video, then import 3 and 4 seperatly? I checked and it seems that I only get the choice of channels 1 and 2, I do not have the oppertunity to choose the channels 3 or 4 from my FCP 5.1.1?
Importing 1 and 2 the then 3 and 4 later would by far be the easiest choice for me. I am importing directly from my Canon XL H1

Hi David, I answered this same question recently in the FCP forum. Have a look... http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=72135

-gb-

A. J. deLange July 27th, 2006 06:51 AM

Greg,

Your comment about setting sampling to 32K would not apply here since the 4 channel audio from the XL-H1 is still at 48K in the HD mode. It's just compressed twice as much. Not so?

A.J.

Greg Boston July 27th, 2006 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. J. deLange
Greg,

Your comment about setting sampling to 32K would not apply here since the 4 channel audio from the XL-H1 is still at 48K in the HD mode. It's just compressed twice as much. Not so?

A.J.

True, I was just trying to get him in the general direction of what screens he needs for applying the settings. Mainly, how to get FCP to see and capture all 4 channels. Hopefully, he will apply the proper bit rate for his application.

-gb-

Austin Walton July 31st, 2006 10:34 AM

I am having the same problem. How do I make FCP see all 4 channels?

I've gone to 'Audio/Video Settings', then 'Capture Presets', then 'Generic Capture Template' (???). But then I can't figure out how to select the proper settings from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a FCP newb...thanks.

Austin Walton August 1st, 2006 10:39 AM

The Final Word on 4 Channel Capturing in FCP?

So, am I correct in my assumption that you CANNOT capture 4 channels from the H1 in FCP? You either have to capture the front mic audio OR an XLR mic in the rear? You can't do both?!?

Anyone who knows this answer, and would share it w/me would be bestowed w/good karma for life from me...even if you confirm that you CANNOT capture 4 channels.

Please Help! Thanks.

Ash Greyson August 1st, 2006 11:44 AM

You cannot capture 4 channels. I capture a mix down of the 4, do my edit and then recapture the audio I need in 2 passes, choosing channel 1/2 on the first pass and channel 3/4 on the second. This COULD be fixed but Canon is not pushing people to support it.

ash =o)

Austin Walton August 1st, 2006 03:27 PM

Thanks.

Ash,

Pardon my continued ignorance. I am new to FCP, and need all the help I can get. How do I capture 3/4 audio (in my case XLR/LAV) from the H1? Right now I am only able to capture the front mic audio (1/2). Am I simply missing an audio output option in the camera?

Thanks!

Ash Greyson August 1st, 2006 08:03 PM

It is in the settings in FCP, someone posted it in the Mac editing forum.

ash =o)

Johan Forssblad August 22nd, 2006 10:45 AM

Help! How do I get 4 CH audio from Canon XL H1 into FCP?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Hi David, I answered this same question recently in the FCP forum. Have a look... http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=72135
-gb-

Hi Greg and others,
Thank you for posting this. I'm using PAL 25F, HDV1080/50i, capture via FireWire.
My problem is I cannot select anything other than 2 CH in FCP 5.1.1.
Menu: Final Cut Pro - Audio/Video Settings - Capture Presets - Capture Preset Editor - QuickTime Audio Settings-Device: Here you had DV Audio - I have to choose None or Built-In Audio
Input: Here you had Mix 4 channels - I only get Line in or Internal mic as alternatives
Format: I get no choice except 44.100 kHz 16-bit 2-chan.

Also I note QuickTime Video Settings is stuck to Digitizer: None.
Probably there is another selection which should be done before to be able to select the 4 CH sound or at least CH1+2 or CH3+4.
Is maybe a plug-in board required to be able to select these settings?

Thankful for any help to get the 4 CH working! / Johan

David Kinsella August 23rd, 2006 02:31 AM

I have the same problem with 4 audio import channels in FCP

I posted this on the editing page too
Problems again
I copied your attachment showing the capture preset window, but when in HDV the Quicktime video settings has NO CHOICE and Quick time Audio settings has NONE and BUILT IN AUDIO, so as it is now I can not choose 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 audio channels to import ? any ideas ? as I said I am using FCP 5.1.1
Could you please if you can find the time give me all the Audio/video settings I need to edit my 4 channel audio from my canon XL H1 PAL in HDV

ANYBODY WHO CAN HELP ?????