DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL H1 Dilemma (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/73852-xl-h1-dilemma.html)

Gabriele Sartori August 18th, 2006 11:23 AM

XL H1 Dilemma

I'm not a pro but I like to make the best possible videos allowed by the technology and my own skill (or lack of it) :-)
My last two cameras where the Canon GL1 and the JVC HD1 I've been actually one of the earlier buyers of the HD1 and I got very good results out of it even with all its limitations.
I recently decided to take the big step and buy the H1, I use ocasionaly a glidecam 2000 and the absence of an LCD screen is a problem, also I don't know if I can use the 2000 since glidecam suggest the 4000 for the H1 (allthat extra money for a longer pipe...), finally when I was going to place my order I saw the new announcement and I preordered a A1 a camera that cost less than half and would fit on my current GC2000 no extra display workflow. I also like the A1 smaller form factor.
Now the DILEMMA. I want the camera now, not in october and although with similar electronics I guess the H1 has a better lens. What would you suggest, go with the H1, its size, its cost, its problems with the GC2000 and the missing LCD or just wait for the compact 3 CCD delivered (hopefully) in October? Is the H1 so good that it is worthwhile to just go for it?

Give me some help, I can't decide by myself, I will go in vacation next week and I would love to use the new camera but I also see the issues.

Regards
Gabriele

John Benton August 18th, 2006 12:02 PM

G-
it sucks, but I think you should wait
(and use one of your other cameras for the trip)

Mathieu Ghekiere August 18th, 2006 12:52 PM

If you don't really need the interchangible lens system or the SDI and Genlock features, I would also advice you to wait.
I'm a bit impatient too if it comes down too material, but let's face it: the price for the new A1 will be HALF of a H1 AND you'll get a manual iris ring...

Chris Hurd August 18th, 2006 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriele Sartori
the absence of an LCD screen is a problem

The XL H1 has an LCD screen... see attached photo.

Gabriele Sartori August 18th, 2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
The XL H1 has an LCD screen... see attached photo.

I didn't realize that it is big enough for that. Do you think that it can be used with a steady-cam/glydecam?

THanks for the other comments as well. I think it should be whiser to wait although it sucks big time. I didn't know about the manual IRIS...

Jonas Nystrom August 18th, 2006 03:19 PM

With Glidecam You surely would like a external monitor. I use SD 7" monitors with my Qlidecam smooth shotter 4000. You need a west for this excelent camera, it's quite heavy.

Luis de la Cerda August 18th, 2006 03:31 PM

I've used the XL-H1 with the glidecam 2000. The LCD is big enough to do your moves. The main problem is the weight. I had to attach some pieces of scrap metal to the bottom to make it heavy enough to balance, but the whole thing gets really heavy. After a few minutes my arms were shaking uncontrollably from all the weight. I did, however, manage to get some really good shots out of it. I also used it in combination with a wheelchair and it worked out really well.

Jon Bickford August 19th, 2006 12:44 AM

well, the main question is do you earn any money with your cameras? and if so, how much money can you likely earn between now and october/november when the other camera is available?

if you can earn back at least $2500 in that time I would say it is definetely worth going for the H1. I'm a little bothered by just how low the price is on the A-1, i think it should be at least $5k so as not to de-value the H1. but i've earned much much more than the price difference working with the H1 for the last 8 months so it would not have been beneficial at all for me to wait.

as for the viewfinder,i thought i saw that the lcd on the new cameras are 2.7", isn't that the same size?

Gabriele Sartori August 19th, 2006 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Bickford
well, the main question is do you earn any money with your cameras? and if so, how much money can you likely earn between now and october/november when the other camera is available?
?

Thanks. No, I don't make any money with the camera, it is just one big hobby (that I share with photography). Indeed I think that it is more rationale to wait although I would buy the H1 in a second if I've evidence of better picture quality (due to the lens or other). One of the biggest thing in my choice however is not even the cost but the size. I usually travel with a huge backpack that is shared between video and photo stuff. The size of the H1 would really upset my current solution. It would be a problem. I guess I will wait for the A1 since I'm in a pretty good position in the waiting list. Thanks for all the precious and helpful suggestion.
About the low price of the A1 I think that your reasoning can be applied there too. If you already made some money with your H1, that is indifferent. Also the G1 is not really cheap and really the debate is about SDI, who needs it and who doesn’t need it. I personally don’t see the use, I could buy an SDI capture card but the problem is that once recorded on DV tape the 4:2:2 is gone hence I don’t see any advantage of SDI over 1394 unless someone works in studio and goes from the camera to the capture system. I do everything outside, not a single photogram at my home.

Again, Thanks a lot!

Gabriele

Jon Bickford August 20th, 2006 06:20 PM

yeah in that case you are definetely better off with the A1, I tend to travel with both still and video as well and XLs are definetely a little unwieldy on airlines where as you can likely stuff an A1 into a space the size of a large SLR telephoto lens in a camera bag.

Henry Gray August 21st, 2006 01:36 AM

XL H1 Dilemma

I also have a problem with the XL H1.

I must have interchangeable lenses but I do not require Genlock or SDI
out but I would like the manual iris and focus assist

Are Canon likley to bring out a XL H1s in the near future at a similar
cost reduction to the A1 and G1

Pete Bauer August 21st, 2006 10:52 AM

Pure speculation on my part, as nothing is announced, but I'd guess that what we'll see -- but not really very soon -- is the next XL camera with an evolution of feature upgrades at a similar price point, not a pared-down version for "cheap."