Pulldown in HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old August 31st, 2006, 07:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Pulldown in HD

Hey folks,

We're trying to shoot 1080p24 through SDI to a Blackmagic Multibridge pro, and I noticed in the manual about the different pulldown settings. This is important, as the camera actually outputs 60i in 1080p, but the real 24p footage is pulled down to 60i.

The manual indicates that the various modes are only available for SD. What pulldown mode does the XL-H1 use for 1080p24? This is crucial for recovering the original progressive frames in Final Cut / Cinema Tools.

Thanks in advance,

-Brian Critchlow

P.S. Is there a way to have the manual focus distance always displayed instead of just popping up when you are racking focus?
Brian Critchlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:44 PM   #2
Major Player

The H1 applies a standard 3:2 pulldown to conform 24F footage to 60i through the HD-SDI spigot.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 12:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Michael.
We brought the footage into after effects 7 and used its magic little tools to deal with the pulldown.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Other Pulldown Methods

I imported my footage through Aspect HD (via Firewire) and that removed the pulldown as well. From there you can convert it into Quicktimes in MPEG Streamclip.
Brad Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

brad, i thought i read somewhere that there is no pulldown in the firewire. just 24 progressive frames.
Lee Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:35 AM   #6
Wrangler

The trick used to put 24p in an MPEG stream could either be described as "pulldown"...or not. Depends how you look at it. That's why there'a so much confusion on the matter.

Also, depending on how the MPEG decoder works in the conversion stage to Aspect, there may or may not be pulldown to remove. The Aspect MPEG decoder could decide to convert to native 24p, or could heed the repeat flags in the stream and add extra fields.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 02:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Aspect or MPEG

I had the resulting Quicktime's metered for speed, and they rate at 23.98. Whether it was the Aspect HD, or MPEG STreamclip, the process worked. Also, I shot 24F mode, not 60i.
Brad Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

We are shooting 24f, but as per the manual, the camera automatically does a 3:2 pulldown and the signal is 60i (59.94) coming into the machine, which then has to be reversed to restore the 24f, as we are doing in after effects.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:50 PM   #9
Major Player

It just BAFFLES me that FCP doesnt do 24f yet.

J
John Benton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders