Firewire, Computers, and Cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 1st, 2006, 08:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Firewire, Computers, and Cameras

Was talking to a friend of mine earlier this evening about firewire connections and Mac computers, and he mentioned that you should power up the camera before you power up the Mac. I've always done the opposite. Had the computer running, plug in the camera, then power the camera up.

If there any correct way for doing this? I've heard of problems when hot plugging Panasonic camera's, but I've never heard of anything happening to Canon based camera's.
Curtis Rhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #2
Major Player

The only thing I can say regarding this issue is the Canon Factory Service Center and Service Phone Support both stated that you should not "hot plug" the Canon H1.

They said the safe way is to only plug in the firewire into the H1 with the camera powered off.

When I asked how would plugging a 4-pin (no power) cause any harm, they reiterated that the factory still recommends having the power off when plugging in the firewire to the H1.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard
The only thing I can say regarding this issue is the Canon Factory Service Center and Service Phone Support both stated that you should not "hot plug" the Canon H1.
Firewire and USB were designed to hot plug, and I doubt the Canon recommendation is correct, but I'm not willing to test this using my $9,000 camera, so I turn the camera off before plugging or unplugging.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. I decided to stick with what I've always done, which is plugging/unplugging with the camera turned off. Just seemed the most sensible thing to do.

And like Christopher said, I too am not willing to try with my $9000 camera! :-)
Curtis Rhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The problem with hot pluging is the cameras use 4 pin FW and if you make contact with the pins incorrectly positioned (which can happen through partial insertion) it will fry the camera. It happened a lot with some of the early Sony's.
Randy Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

4 pin firewire is a non-powered connection, just data. I find it really had to believe that hot swapping a cable with no (significant) power would fry anything. I have hotswapped pretty much every firewire device I have ever owned, with no issues.
Brian Critchlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Critchlow
4 pin firewire is a non-powered connection, just data. I find it really had to believe that hot swapping a cable with no (significant) power would fry anything.
Hi Brian. What you say is correct. I think the issue that some people have seen is that the cable shield (ground), which is terminated to the connector shell, gets inadvertantly connected to the signal pin(s) when the plug is fitted without enough care. If the interface is designed properly, then this shouldn't matter as the driver chips would be able to withstand an external short to ground indefinitely without damage. However, it seems that some cameras have a flaky design in this respect, so even a momentary misconnection can lead to permanent damage.

Shouldn't happen, but as mentioned earlier, it's an expensive camera to take the risk with.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:37 AM   #8
Major Player

It's happened to me - blew both the PC 6 pin port and the camera's 4 pin port. I was hotplugging as I would with USB having never heard of issues with firewire at that stage. This on the day or two I was to deliver some footage for a client. I had to purchase the cheapest mini dv cam on the market purely for capturing purposes (the camera still records no problem and I had a spare firewire port on the PC).

Since upgrading my camera (to a much more expensive model than the previous) I'm now using a firewire isolator - cost about £50-60 - well worth it!
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders