DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XLH1 lowlight consensus? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/75320-xlh1-lowlight-consensus.html)

Doug Bennett September 12th, 2006 08:39 AM

XLH1 lowlight consensus?

dozens of threads referring to the lowlight performance of the XLH1 comapared to other HDV and DV cams. But they flat out contradict one another. some say the XLH1 is a vast improvement over the XL2 others that the XL2 is better. Same with the Z1. Has any consensus developed on this issue?

Brian Critchlow September 12th, 2006 08:47 AM

Sounds like a decent battle of the opinion game. I think its up to the die-hard testers to reveal this in verifiable images.

I never owned an XL2, but I have to say that I am really happy with my H1's performance so far.

Marty Hudzik September 12th, 2006 09:22 AM

I did own and XL2 and can say boldly that the XL-H1 is superior in low light.

I can also say that is is superior to the HVX in low-light. I owned both and chose the H1 because of this....

I hear the FX1 and Z1 are really good also but I cannot compare them directly as I have never used them.

Hope this helps. I have read all of those contradicting reviews also and can at least say my first hand experience shows the H1 is superior. As far as my comparisons to the XL2 and HVX I can say the differences weren't subtle. There was a huge difference in the low-light capabilities to me.

FWIW.

Peace!

Doug Bennett September 12th, 2006 09:48 AM

thanks Marty thats what I am hoping for. Are you using the LOWLIGHT-12DBGAIN settings from Chris' custom presets sreadsheet?

Marty Hudzik September 12th, 2006 02:58 PM

Never used the lowlight setting...no. I just never push the gain past 6 if I can avoid it and always try to add light.

also....to be more clear.....I am not really talking about scenes that are close to "no light". I am referring to comparisons in "poor" light. Like someones house where you have to rely on normal house lighting oe available light. The XL2 and the HVX puked up noisy, grainy images and the colors were all muted out the wazoo in these environments. The H1 still delivers a really decent picture...not academy award lighting mind you....but a pretty darn good image in these less than perfect scenarios.

Keep in mind that the HVX and XL2 create great images also....but they are very unforgiving when it comes to poor lighting.

Doug Bennett September 12th, 2006 03:20 PM

I was not referring to the lowlight setting but to the custom presets for knee. noise reduction etc

Marty Hudzik September 13th, 2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
I was not referring to the lowlight setting but to the custom presets for knee. noise reduction etc

I knew what you meant but my response wasn't very clear. The only thing I Really do different for potential lowlight shoots is change the gamma from cine to normal. You gain back what looks like a stop or so by doing this. I then correct for that in post.

I leave my knee and noise reduction the same either way. I also use Disjecta's Panalook settings too.

Peace!