DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Frame Accurate dub with 2 XL H1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/76182-frame-accurate-dub-2-xl-h1.html)

Vitold Vidic September 25th, 2006 10:26 AM

Frame Accurate dub with 2 XL H1

Is it possible to make master dubs with no quality loss and identical TC on both tapes with 2 XL H1? I tried through mini 1394 Cam A to mini 1394 Cam B, VCR mode, all good but I couldn’t have TC transferred. With BNC to BNC, picture yes, TC no. Anyone?

Thanks

A. J. deLange September 25th, 2006 01:48 PM

No guarantees that this will work but you might try slaving the timecode on the second camera to the first during the copying process.

Vitold Vidic September 26th, 2006 07:52 AM

To slave the second camera in camera mode is doable but it doesn't respond at all in its vcr or external mode.

Dan Keaton October 1st, 2006 04:33 PM

Dear Vitold,

Are you saying that one can not cable two XL H1's together and dub a tape from one to another?

I have not tested this. Since this was a standard feature on the Xl1s, I have assumed that one could do this with two XL H1's.

The Xl H1 manual is not clear on this functionality. It appears that it is possible, page 110.

The manual does mention that the playback standard must be in "Auto" to record from the firewire port.

Sorry, but I do not have access to a second XL H1 to test this myself.

With 2 XL1s's one could dup a tape, but the timecode was regenerated on the dup. Of course, for many people, this is a good thing so that there are no timecode breaks on the dup even if there are duplicated timecodes or a break on the timecode on the original.

Vitold Vidic October 2nd, 2006 12:07 PM

It is easy to do tape to tape over fire wire, but unfortunately the result is the same if 2 xl1's are used. The new TC is generated as the dub is made, which works for a lot of people but not for my next project. Batch capturing would be close to impossible in case dub-master have to be used instead of the MASTERS.

I was hoping that I might be able to send TC from Cam A to Cam B, what I usually do when I am synching 2 cameras, but in VCR mode. The main reason for all this hustle is that on one of the master tapes glitches appeared every few seconds. A lot of reasons for that, but I am sure it was the storage of the tapes. In order to eliminate this issue the new tape stock is used; dubs are made before the rest of our originals show any devastating signs, and all the tapes are placed in low humidity and static-free environment, as much as we can afford.

Dan Keaton October 2nd, 2006 12:28 PM

Dear Vitold.

Thank you for the information on dubbing the tapes.

Did you have a cable from Timecode Out on the Master XL H1 into the Timecode In on the Slave XL H1 and the Slave XL H1 setup for receiving the timecode?

Sorry, but I do not currently have two XL H1s to perform this test.

I think it will be very beneficial if we know if obtaining an exact duplicate of a time is possible or not.

Vitold Vidic October 4th, 2006 07:50 AM

That’s exactly what I was trying to do, but the camera B didn’t respond to TC send form camera A, both in VCR mode. I will play around in the next few days and maybe something will work but for now it doesn’t seem to be very promising.

Dan Keaton October 4th, 2006 07:59 AM

Dear Vitold,

Thank you for the update.

Maybe a call to Canon Technical Support would help.

Vitold Vidic October 5th, 2006 09:21 AM

I have just talked to Canon technician and they confirmed after a day of the “investigation” that it is not possible yet. It would a good feature.

Dan Keaton October 5th, 2006 09:22 AM

Dear Vitold,

Thanks for the update.