The XL H1s ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 28th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #1
Trustee

The XL H1s ?

Hello XL H1 Shooters:

I searched the net, Canon's web site, and this forum for months to get as much information as possible to help in my decision to either purchase an XL H1 or the Panasonic HVX 200. This forum has been the best place to learn from owner/shooters about the actual performance of the XL H1. I almost purchased the HVX 200 until I read a review of a test conducted for the American Society of Cinematographers where the XL H1 was used to shoot subjects and then output in HD 24f via the uncompressed SDI output to an uncompressed recorder. These shots were then output to 35 mm neg and released printed. The resulting projected screen film out tests astounded an assembled group of famous cinematographers and technitions. The article reported the XL H1 outperformed HD cameras multiple times the price !

I am a dyed in the wool film man. I have always hated the look of video-period. However, my cinematographer friends are raving about the XL H1 ! I am also a happy former Canon XL1s owner. I got a written quote from the authorized Canon reseller here in Montreal of $12,474.11 (tax in) CAD for the XL H1. I hear maybe I should wait because there is supposed to be an XL H1s update about to come out. Can anyone confirm if this is true ?

Perhaps it is time to consider digital acquisition for film out once again because the cost versus quality ratio has finally arrived at the point where it's reasonable. I am also driven by the economic imperitive that I want to shoot film for my directorial debut movie, but we just can't afford the extra expense of shooting film and hassels with dealing with the lab. Perhaps there are members in this forum who have seen or made film out tests with this camera who can comment ?
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 03:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Don't know of any XL-H1s yet, but these two babies are just around the corner.
http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxh/index.php
Same quality with fixed lens, and with or without SDI/TC out. If you go for the ultimate film-look and a Mini-35 with primes, (to obtain shallow depth of field) then of course you have to go with the XL-H1.
Kristian Indrehus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Trustee

XL H1s ?

Hi Kristian:
No, I think we're leaning toward the XL H1 because we absolutely do want to be able to change the glass. There is P+S Technique who have great movie lens adaptor for the XL H1. Folks often talk about relative film look and overall resolution between the HVX 200 vs XL H1 and other models, but if you can't change the lens, then one of the most important factors in determining resolution becomes fixed. Not good. Some folks here have discussed using the XL adapter and putting still camera lenses on the XL H1. This would be a dramatically right direction to head in (As long as you don't need to zoom).

Also, because of eventual delivery of images on 35 mm theater releae print, the SDI uncompressed out option is also quite interesting. HDV out to film tests have also been done and they are supposed to look surprisingly good with this camera despite the really big compression factor of the format. I hope to be able to get a print of the film out tests here as we would like to evaluate these tests for ourselves on a really big screen. I'm hoping the XL H1 could be a cost effective alternative to expensive film shooting.
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I think there will be a revision to the XL H1, but not too soon. Considering the XH GL series can out perform the XL H1 with having Timecode and Audio through HD-SDI out and cost almost 40% less, it's just a matter of time until Canon's flagship camcorder can do the same. It'd be nice if all that required to obtain that upgrade was a firmware update, but I doubt it.

Also, it doesn't seem like this camera is taking off as much as the HVX, Z-1U, or the HD-100U, so it would seem crucial for Canon to introduce a price drop before anything else.

My prediction: price drop by October. XL H1s and a manual HD lens are introduced at NAB '07, available Q4.
R.W. Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Major Player

I purchased an XL1 when it first came out. I have since purchased 5 more canons and followed the rumor mills closely. I can say with 100% confidence that all of the speculation about future canon models has consistently been, without a single exception, completely wrong.

I was not referring to predictions like Mr Swanson's. They seem quite reasonable. I mean speculation about the arrival date and features of new models
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #6
Trustee

XL H1s ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
I purchased an XL1 when it first came out. I have since purchased 5 more canons and followed the rumor mills closely. I can say with 100% confidence that all of the speculation about future canon models has consistently been, without a single exception, completely wrong.
....Interesting to note. Thanks. The rumour mill around Montreal for this camera has it being upgraded by Christmas. I can remember how I was about to buy my XL1 when the rumours started about the XL1s coming and it was true. Well, I know my feature film is slated for an April 07 shoot, so if there is no XL H1s by then we will probably go with the XL H1.
Old September 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Was wondering what became of the "Would you be willing to pay for an Audio/Timecode SDI Embedding Upgrade" poll and whether there was any word from Canon regarding this potential?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #8
Major Player

well of course eventually all rumors come true. But I take my comment back. In Dirk Halstead's preview of the XLH1 he did claim knowledge of the arrival of the GL2 HD upgrade. He might be the guy to watch
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #9
Trustee

XL H1s ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard
Was wondering what became of the "Would you be willing to pay for an Audio/Timecode SDI Embedding Upgrade" poll and whether there was any word from Canon regarding this potential?
....You mean the uncompressed SDI doesn't include the timecode and audio signal ?!!! WHY ?!! Uh Oh ! Darn ! I have SD SDI in and out on my editing system and was hoping to perform a match back edit using HD image capture in camera, then output audio & video with timecode as downconverted SD stream out, then edit in SD with source code as VITC reference on time line, then generate CMX 3000 EDL and go with source tapes & floppy disc to on line facility (I don't have an HD editing system, but spent a large fortune on state of the art SD real time edit system) and conform everything. I then capture the HDV tapes as Cineon or the new DI (Digital Intermediate) format and output to 35 mm neg.
Old September 28th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
well of course eventually all rumors come true. But I take my comment back. In Dirk Halstead's preview of the XLH1 he did claim knowledge of the arrival of the GL2 HD upgrade. He might be the guy to watch
Dirk is well thought of, so please don't take this is a slam...but even way back when he did that review, it was a foregone conclusion in the mind of anyone who cares that sooner or later Canon would release an HDV camera similar in form factor to the GL. It would have been notable only if he had predicted that Canon did NOT plan to make such a camera!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #11
Trustee

Mark

Miranda makes an audio and timecode embedder (amx-800 $2000 list) that will output a clean and a timecode imprint signal evidently it will also output an sd sdi out as well don't know fi you can make one of the feeds sd and the other hd or not. it will embed the 4 channels of audio and the timecode all into the sdi stream. It does take 6 volts in so I imagine it can be powered by a battery system as well. If you're interested when the time roles around I may have one available as a rental.
Old September 28th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #12
Trustee

XL H1s ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
Mark

Miranda makes an audio and timecode embedder (amx-800 $2000 list) that will output a clean and a timecode imprint signal evidently it will also output an sd sdi out as well don't know fi you can make one of the feeds sd and the other hd or not. it will embed the 4 channels of audio and the timecode all into the sdi stream. It does take 6 volts in so I imagine it can be powered by a battery system as well. If you're interested when the time roles around I may have one available as a rental.
...Thanks Nick for the heads up on that piece of equipment. As long as the enbedded time code is output in the blanking area and not as a window dub, then I would be interested. What city are you in Nick ?

Oh gosh is that ever embarrassing ! I failed to look up under your name where it already lists your City ! O.K. I really do need to get some sleep this month !

Last edited by Mark Job; September 29th, 2006 at 12:23 AM.
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders