DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Resolution Difference between XLH1 and DigiBetacam Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/76955-resolution-difference-between-xlh1-digibetacam-cameras.html)

Simon Duncan October 6th, 2006 08:07 AM

Resolution Difference between XLH1 and DigiBetacam Cameras

Just wanted to know what is the difference in resolution from say the new 3CCD's cameras such as the Canon XLH1 and traditional BroadCast cameras like DigiBetacam cameras?

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2006 08:13 AM

I'm certain you're referring to resolution in terms of TV lines, correct? Because in terms of format, or number of recorded pixels, you're comparing a standard definition camera to a high definition camera.

Simon Duncan October 6th, 2006 09:25 AM

Thanks Chris,

Yes I am.

The reason being is that I was just interviewed for a Freelance camera job in Paris for a production company who do alot of work with CNN and what let me down in this interview was the fact that I have only shot using the Canon XL1 and in the broadcast world and in particular CNN appear to be using the standard Betacam SP or DigiBetacam cameras. Now I have never used any of these cameras so I was just trying to get abit of comparsion and god forbide trying to guess where Broadcast cameras would be heading. Since it appears there's a transition phase happening in this world and I assume soon they will go over to the world of HD even for news. But with big networks like CNN they don't change over night........

Mike Marriage October 6th, 2006 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Duncan
...what let me down in this interview was the fact that I have only shot using the Canon XL1 and in the broadcast world and in particular CNN appear to be using the standard Betacam SP or DigiBetacam cameras.

Simon, it sounds like this may have nothing to do with camera resolution. They were probably looking for someone with experience with full size broadcast cameras, which operate in a very different way from an XL1 or XLH1.

Most Pro ENG camera controls are pretty similar but if you want a camera in the 5-10k price range that will handle most like a pro ENG camera, I'd recommend the JVC HD 100 line. You could also look at a 2nd hand shoulder mount DVCAM cameras.

If you picked up a Betacam with no previous experience with that style of camera, the results probably wouldn't look that great.

Simon Duncan October 6th, 2006 10:00 AM

Thanks Mike,

With my experience current level of experience I really don't think I would be getting a look in the world of Broadcast news. At this stage I am looking at updating my camera and do have my eyes set on the Canon XLH1 largely because I've been shooting with the XL1 and the pictures I've seen from the XLH1 are very impressive.

But at the same time I would like to know my way around a Pro ENG Camera but don't really know how to go about this without buying one or having someone close by I could use. I don't really want to start renting a camera like this to come up to speed with largely because at this stage I really don't see many work opportunities coming my way using this camera........

Mike Marriage October 6th, 2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

But at the same time I would like to know my way around a Pro ENG Camera but don't really know how to go about this without buying one or having someone close by I could use. I don't really want to start renting a camera like this to come up to speed with largely because at this stage I really don't see many work opportunities coming my way using this camera........

For the price of a new XLH1, you could get a fairly decent 2nd hand Sony DSR 500 or something similar. You'd probably need to add a lens on top of that which will be from about £600 upwards 2nd hand. You won't get a great 2/3" lens for less than a few thousand pounds though. The battery systems and accessories are also more expensive but most dealers hold good part-ex bargains.

You will also only have an SD camera, but in the UK, I am still yet to be asked to deliver in HD. Many people still want 4:3!

Simon Duncan October 6th, 2006 12:20 PM

Mike since you are based in the UK is it OK if I shoot you of an email to just find out abit more about yourself?

Nick Hiltgen October 6th, 2006 10:28 PM

CNN has begun the transition to HDCAM (f900) still not broadcast that way but they're using those cameras now.

Mike Marriage October 7th, 2006 06:16 AM

Quote:

Mike since you are based in the UK is it OK if I shoot you of an email to just find out abit more about yourself?

Feel free.