DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Some final questions before my XL-H1 purchase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/78124-some-final-questions-before-my-xl-h1-purchase.html)

Floris van Eck October 24th, 2006 10:29 AM

Some final questions before my XL-H1 purchase

I am about to purchase a XL-H1 after playing with it in a store. I have some questions with regards to software compatibility. I am buying a PAL model, so that means 50i and 25F. I have read that both Cineform Aspect HD and Adobe Premiere 2.0 support Canon 24F. But do they also support 25F? I suppose the answer is yes but I am not sure if that is the case.

Also, which accessoires do you recommend? I am interested in buying a few filters, a camera case/bag and a raincover. I already own a Manfrotto 351MVB2 tripod with Bogen 503 head. I am sure it will do, but it might not be the best tripod to use with this camera. But as I am planning to do a lot of handheld (shouldermount) shooting, it will do for now. I also own two BP-970G batteries which will do fine in combination with the BP-950G I am getting with the camera kit. With regards to a bag/case, it will either be something like the Canon aluminum case or a Porta Brace/Kata bag.

More specialized accessoires like a matte box etcetera will follow later. Something that might be interesting now is a video light.

Just let me know what you are using and I will check it out! I hope this is the last time I will bother some of you with questions about a camera purchase. I want to start shooting footage for a change!

Steve Rosen October 24th, 2006 11:30 AM

I use the CineBag case - although it is not specifically designed to hold a camera, the H1 fits nicely in it with the viewfinder, matte box, follow focus and a longer mike (AT) attached - Personally I dislike having to assemble and disassemble the camera everytime I move... This case is very affordable ($189 US), looks good, and is rugged... You can cut out the interior stiffening pieces on the sides and make the inside long enough to use the battery/wireless bracket on back of the camera too, which won't work with any other bag I know of.. I cut down one of the interior pouches so the viewfinder sits on top, but if you don't want to do that just swing the finder down...

You may discover that you'll need a heavier tripod, mostly because of the length of the lens... at full telephoto it can get jerky.. I use an old O'Connor 50 head... You can pick them up used for a song...

As for editing, I use FCP, so I can't help you there, but there are many threads in this forum that cover your questions..

Also, if you're going to invest in filters, which are expensive, consider getting a lowend mattebox so you can accumulate 4x4s.. You don't need a Chrosziel, it's just a filter holder and sun shade after all, doesn't need to be high tech...

Dan Keaton October 24th, 2006 11:33 AM

Dear Floris,

The two BP-970g batteries plus the BP-950g will go a long way to powering the camera for a long time. Please remember that these high capacity batteries take a long time to charge.

With the camera you will receive one battery charger in the kit. A second battery charger of some type is nice to have. This could be the Canon Dual battery charger (which charges one battery, then the other) or a low cost battery charger.

I like Pelican cases, but a proper Porta-Brace, Petrol, or Kata bag would work well. The Pelican cases are heavy, but do a great job of protecting the camera. Some of the "Quick Draw" type bags which allow you to have the entire camera setup ready to go would be my choice. However, I would ensure that they provide enough protection for traveling.

The Canon VL10i works, but does not put out much light, it is a 10 watt unit. Others cost much more and require different batteries, chargers, etc. I would like to have a Frezzolini unit of at least 20 watts.

I believe that you will be very happy with the XL H1!

Even Solberg October 24th, 2006 12:46 PM

Yes, 25F is supported in Premiere Pro:
http://tetsuo.smugmug.com/photos/105081828-L.jpg

Robert Sanders October 24th, 2006 03:56 PM

Definitely 970 batteries.

A polarizer filter, a 1/4 black Promist filter, and some additional ND filters in .3, .6 and .9 increments.

Pelican cases are the best. Nothing substitues for handles and wheels.

An external LCD is nice too.

And if it can be affordable, a quality matte box.

Jonas Nystrom October 24th, 2006 04:51 PM

Definitely a Matte box! It's expensive, but really well spent money. And a good fluid head - it's a heavy cam. Buy used, I bought a used Sacthler head/tripod (sure you can find it easy in Europe). So nice!

Floris van Eck October 24th, 2006 09:32 PM

Thanks everyone. What will a Petrol case cost me the size of a XL-H1? I like bags but somehow the XL-H1 looks more suited for a case. But I haven't seen any of those bags, and I guess they should do a good job. Also, the Porta Brace bag looks very solid and rugged if you ask me.

Which matte box are you recommending, and what is the cost of it? I think you are right that it's better to invest in a good matte box and filters then in expensive 72mm filters that might not work on future camera's. What are you doing for wide shots? Are you using a converter lens or is everyone waiting for the new 6x WIDE lens that Canon will be releasing soon?

So the question that remains is if Cineform also supports 25F. I guess I am going to ask that in another forum that's about codecs.

Spike Spiegel October 24th, 2006 10:08 PM

while we're on the subject of matteboxes, how good are the tiffen or hoya filters that are made for the 72mm threaded cameras. Are they inferior in quality or do they work just the same? I realize the mattebox systems are expensive and they are definitely worth it, but how does a tiffen 72 mm filter compare to something you would use with a mattebox?

Marty Hudzik October 25th, 2006 06:45 AM

A tad off topic but what happened? I thought you (Floris) were all set to get the A1 when it is released? Or are you getting both?

Just wondering.

Floris van Eck October 26th, 2006 02:26 AM

Still not sure about it. The only thing that I have decided is that I am going to buy one of the Canon's. At this moment, I think I will be going for a XL-H1. Because I plan to do a lot of handheld shooting, and a shoulder-mounted camera is better suited for that kind of action. Also, I really like the new 6x wide-angle Canon will be releasing. I have seen some documentaries on National Geographic this week with the cameramen prominently on screen, and they were all using a viewfinder and not a lcd-screen. And as the A1/G1 viewfinder is not that good (from what I have heard), I think the XL-H1 might be the best option. It's a lot of money (4000 euro difference), but I will be sure that I will have a nice camera for the next 3 years or so.

I also read some of the case examples and I found them really positive. What I have learned now is that you can put every camera to good use. For my purposes, I just believe the XL-H1 is the best camera. The only problem is of course the high-price... but I am at the point where I want to take the risk. I might still change my mind and go for the A1/G1. We're getting closer.

Floris van Eck October 26th, 2006 07:15 AM

I have a question about the Porta Brace bags. How resistant are they too rain? I prefer a bag with a raincover like the all-weather covers of the LowePro bags but LowePro has no bag that fits the XL-H1. So how water resistant are the Porta Brace bags, the CTC-3 especially.

Steve Rosen October 26th, 2006 09:21 AM

Floris: The PortaBrace bags are pretty resistant to weather, it takes a lot to soak them, but they aren't "water proof"... But let me again put in my opinion of the CineBag case, just for your consideration... I have three PortaBrace cases for the H1 and 2 other cameras, and I like them alot, they are well constructed and the handle/straps are very sturdy and confidence-building.. What I DON'T like is putting the camera in and out of the case..

In my case, making documentaries, I like to have my camera well-protected, but "ready to go".. I don't want to fumble around attaching the viewfinder (which you have to do with every Pelican I've seen) or mounting matte box, FF, grips, etc. The PortaBrace cases aren't big enough to allow a fully configured H1, the CineBag is.. It sits in the back of my Grand Cherokee like a storage locker - I open the back, open the case lid, pull out the camera, attach the battery, slide in a tape, and I'm shooting...

Plus, and this may seem minor, but in my case (pun unintended) it isn't... I like to use chamois eyepiece covers on my viewfinder, if you haven't used one before you don't know what you're missing... anyway, if I'm not very careful, when I pull the camera out of the PortaBrace quickdraw bag, the finder rubs against the side and the chamois pulls off! These things are difficult to put back on, and it takes some time to do it right... Don't have this problem with the CineBag...

I've had two Pelican cases in the past that have sustained broken latches - that ABS plastic is NOT bullet proof and the latches protrude from the sides and are vulnerable - For airline travel I use the old standby, a nice, big aluminum Haliburton, that's light, lockable, unbelievably sturdy, but pricey - camera body seperated from the 20x and 16x by inches of custom cut foam... And I send my CineBag (wrapped with nylon straps) through luggage with my clothes, mikes, wireless, chargers, etc, so I can use it when I arrive at my destination.

Steve Rosen October 26th, 2006 09:42 AM

Oh, by the way, as for rain protection when shooting, I carry a small roll of heavy clear pastic that I bought at a hardware store and a roll of 1/2" gaffers tape.... it's cheap, very efficient, and while it may not look elegant, it protects the camera better than anything (you probably don't watch NFL football there, but if you do you'll see the "old pros" cameras covered this way - because it works).

Bill Pryor October 27th, 2006 04:14 PM

Spike, about your filter question. There's no difference in matte box filters and threaded ones, in terms of the filter itself. The main thing about a matte box is that it will allow you to use multiple filters without getting vignetting at a wide angle. Of couse it keeps the lights out of the lens better than a lens hood too. With threaded filters, if you put on more than 2, you probably will see a little corner vignetting at a wide angle. If you normally use only one or at the most 2 filters, threadded ones are fine. I've been using Series 9 filters for many years. They are not threaded, but fit in a retainer ring, and you get a stepdown ring to fit the size of your lens. The filters themselves are about 90mm. The nice thing about them over threaded ones is that if you get a different lens all you have to buy is another stepdown ring for 10 bucks.

Bruce S. Yarock October 28th, 2006 03:52 AM

Steve,
I like the clear plastic idea. What size roll do you get? can you get it at Home Depot? Got a picture of this rig?
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com