Firestore and the H1??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 31st, 2006, 08:44 AM   #1
Trustee

Firestore and the H1???

I have 2 fs-4's that were upgraded to hd. I did a few tests this morning, and have a couple of questions.
1- I was able to record in both 60i and 24f onto the FS-4.I don't know for sure if the 24f clip is ok because I didn't transfer it yet to pc.But the fs-4 seemed to work the same in both frame rates.
2-I then tried to play back from the Fs-4 through the H1. I followed the instrcuctions on p 110, but could view nothing on the H1.
3-I palyed the same clips from the FS-4 through my Sony FX1, and was able to view thw 60i clip with no problem(in the Fx1 lcd).
4-The 24f clip wouldn't play back through the Sony (I had read this, but tried anyways).

Has anyone else been able to get the Fs-4, or any other firestore model, to both record and playback through the H1(in other words, be able to view the playback on the viewfinder)?

Thanks
Bruce S.Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 09:34 AM   #2
Major Player

I was under the impression that the Firestore would not work with HDV 24f yet.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Trustee

I'll transfer the clip and see if it comes out in Premiere Pro.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:33 PM   #4
Sponsor: divergent media

You can capture 24f on the FS4ProHD, but only in M2T format, not in QuicktimeHDV format. You can use Mpegstreamclip to conver it to another format. On the Mac side, going to a 1080p24 Quicktime with mpegstreamclip works fine and you can then cut in a 1080p24 FCP timeline.

I don't know how Premiere handles 1080p24 in general, but the FS4ProHD can capture the data.
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:51 PM   #5
Trustee

We edit in Premiere Pro, and were advised to download a trial version of Cineform Aspect HD. It was impossible to view the footage in real time in PPro until we installed Cineform. Now we can view the footage in real time.
But the m2t files created by the Firestore Fs-4 will not work with Cineform. It's in Cineform's Faq, but I tried it anyways....no good.
So I guess i either keep my two Fs-4's for SD shooting, or put them in the classifieds.At least we can shoot in HDV and edit it in PPro.

Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old October 31st, 2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Trustee

As an afterthought, is there a portable drive similar to firestore that can be used with Cineform Aspect hd?
Bruce Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Correction - the FS4ProHD DOES indeed record 24f HDV. Tried it myself and (current patch installed) and brought it into my NLE (Edius 3.62) and checked the properties of the clips and they show the correct frame rate.

Please accept my apologies for my mis-statement above.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:14 AM   #8
Major Player

[QUOTE=Colin McFadden]You can capture 24f on the FS4ProHD, but only in M2T format, not in QuicktimeHDV format. You can use Mpegstreamclip to conver it to another format. On the Mac side, going to a 1080p24 Quicktime with mpegstreamclip works fine and you can then cut in a 1080p24 FCP timeline.

Colin: So, to be clear, to use the FS-C (or FS4ProHD) and end up with 24p in FCP I would capture the M2T files (drag and drop) and then use Mpegstreamclip (which is, apparently, available as a freeware download) to convert the clips to 1080p24 QT and edit normally - would my BlackMagic ProHD card work for output to a monitor do you think?...

The other question that comes to mind is - does the image hold up through conversion? Have you compared clips captured traditionally with those captured and converted, and if so, how do they compare? I know it's supposed to be ones and zeros, but I assume that converting the files moves the ones and zeros around a little...

Last edited by Steve Rosen; November 2nd, 2006 at 11:06 AM.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:55 AM   #9
Major Player

Also - There is an (unsubstantiated) rumor that Canon is planning a true 24p camera for the not-to-far-off future.. Knowing how secretive Canon is, and knowing that Sony, Panasonic and JVC all have 24p cameras on the market now, it does seem pretty likely..

If that's so, then 24f will become a short-lived transitional capture format, soon to be replaced - and there would be little interest by Focus Enhancements to dump R&D money into 24f support for their units... So this work-around may remain the best - and only - answer for tapeless 24f capture...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders