Mobile Uncompressed HD/SDI Capture Setup - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:36 PM   #16
Major Player

Screen Grabs

I'm posting a few stills I pulled from the initial review of footage. They are moderately compressed JPEGs so don't judge the HD/SDI quality based on them, but it'll give a good idea of lighting and color.

I'll have some footage to post next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile Uncompressed HD/SDI Capture Setup-ambulance-feet3.jpg   Mobile Uncompressed HD/SDI Capture Setup-ambulance-feet5.jpg  

Mobile Uncompressed HD/SDI Capture Setup-ambulance-feet6.jpg   Mobile Uncompressed HD/SDI Capture Setup-cancer-check-wheelchair4.jpg  

Mobile Uncompressed HD/SDI Capture Setup-cancer_cat_scan22.jpg  
Old December 7th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #17
Regular Crew

reason for only 2GB DRAM

As a software engineer.. I get this.. I'm guessing their card has a large buffer, and up until this year almost everyone wrote their code with the capability of 32 bit address range. If you figure out 32^2, you figure out the maximum addressing possible within that range. That happens to be 4 GB, so their card has a big chunk of memory on it that is mapped into the range (probably 1GB), so anything over 2GB on the MAC couldn't be done (next increment over 2GB is 4GB..woops.. its out of the address range).

So they are probably rewriting their drivers to be 64 bit capable (just like everyone else in the industry).. then you have 64^2 address capability (I have no idea what this is, but its big).

Brian
Brian Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #18
New Boot

Hi Dave, since you have been using this setup for over a month now could I trouble you for your thoughts on quality and whether the exercise was worth it.

Glenn
Glenn Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Taylor
Hi Dave, since you have been using this setup for over a month now could I trouble you for your thoughts on quality and whether the exercise was worth it.

Glenn
Hi Glenn,

Yes, it is most definitely worth it. The image quality is beautiful and our clients are quite impressed with the setup when they see it in action.

It also gives us another price point when quoting a job and allows us the potential to rent it out.
Old February 10th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #20
Regular Crew

So how much more did you spend on this unit than the camera?
We have basically the same setup except we are using external sata raids instead of fiber channel.
It just irks me how much more support systems cost than the actual cameras.
Brian Critchlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #21
Major Player

Brian,

Support from Zotz is free if you buy from them. On the gear, I'd have to look at the records to see the total price but minus the camera, it was around 15K.
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Sorry, I meant supporting systems for the camera, ie. computer, raid, matte box, controls, batteries, etc.
Brian Critchlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #23
New Boot

Just giving this a bump to see if there is any new information or footage that can be shared, as I'm interested in this type of setup as well. :)
Mike Dunning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders