DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   A bit Purplish? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/79214-bit-purplish.html)

R.W. Swanson November 9th, 2006 01:04 AM

A bit Purplish?

I had the oppurtunity to work with the XL H1 last weekend, being a XL2 owner, I wanted to love the camera, but it looked a bit purplish. Has anyone else noticed this?

It didn't matter if I tinkered with the cine controls, white balanced manually or automatic, or even had the setting dail control on "A" or the green square, subtle purplish in the highlight tones.

WTF?

Nick Hiltgen November 9th, 2006 02:32 AM

hey R.W. what were you monitoring off of? I've seen that purplish tinge in highlights (or anything white really) in monitors as they start to go south or if you're using an adapter to an lcd. (I've seen the opposite way, with a big green shift as well) I just wonder fi it was maybe whatever you were looking at and not neccisarilly the camera. Unless maybe it was in an ultra contrasty area and you caught some fo that notorious Chromattic abberation (or whoever you spell it)

Lauri Kettunen November 9th, 2006 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.W. Swanson
Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, and if you examine this forum, you'll find several discussions on the topic in this forum. For some reason, the factory settings of XL H1 tend to be tinted towards magenta. Some people have reported the opposite having the camera tinted towards green or cyan. To remove such a magenta bias, the camera has to be carefully fine tuned.

The other issue is that when you are very close to the monitor, you'll find the standard 20x lens makes edges to spread to magenta/green lines especially close to the left and right border of the image. Such an effect, however, "fits into the specs" meaning the idea is not to watch a video image next to the monitor. This is also a lense dependent effect, and it is interesting to see, whether the new wide angle lense coming out in the very near future is better in this respect.

A. J. deLange November 9th, 2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.W. Swanson
I had the oppurtunity to work with the XL H1 last weekend, being a XL2 owner, I wanted to love the camera, but it looked a bit purplish. Has anyone else noticed this?

As others have noted what you are seeing may be in the monitor. To properly judge not only must the monitor be functioning properly but must be set up properly and in an appropriate ambient. A good way to get around these diffiulties is to use whatever NLE you use or Quicktime to export a frame which contains an image of, for example, a Macbeth card to Photo Shop or some other application which allows measurement of color. The camera should have been balanced against the light source being used when the image was recorded. Be sure to handle the color space conversion properly as required by your application. Now use the application's color analysis tool to check the saturation of each gray patch on the Macbeth card. The saturation should be very close to 0 for each. If it isn't note the hue. While you are at it you can, of course, check the colors of the other patches on the card. Their values are printed on the jacket.

Jon Bickford November 10th, 2006 02:33 PM

I really hadn't noticed too much purple fringing for the forst 10 months of owning the camera. but recently i was in NYC and while I was up on top of a building getting wide shots on a tripod there was most certainly a bias towards purple in the bright sky and clouds mostly towards the upper left of the frame...

bummer

-Jon