CONSOLE <-> LANC Zoom Remote BUG at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 24th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #1
Tourist

CONSOLE <-> LANC Zoom Remote BUG

A friendly hello to everybody. This is my first post here - unfortunately a bug report.
I hope you excuse some Germ(an)ish and look forward for your response.

I use H1s in Multicam Broadcast Productions. When the H1 is set to "Ext. Control" and connected via FireWire to a Console PC the LANC bebob Zoom Remote ZOE is disabled.

Canon Europe says that this (maybe) is a feature to use the camera in remote applications. And the Zoom on the objective is working in this Operation Mode.
I wrote them that I don't know any Multicam Production where a professional Cameraman can work without a Zoom Remote behind the camera on the tripod arm. And that the H1 as camera for industrial/security applications (where complete remoting is necessary) is a little bit oversized. I kindly asked for a fix of that bug (additional enabling the LANC Port while in "Ext. Control") with one of the many Firmware Updates which were written for the H1. The latest I heard was that they will forward it. That was 4 weeks ago.

So thats where I am. I don't know any responsible Canon Partner and have no idea if and when anything will happen.
If I think about the Firmware Updates - I read about them here ...

I know that Canon sometimes builds nice Products - but the service after is a catastrophe.

Has anybody ...
... the same problem?
... any suggestions how to get the bug fixed?
... any explanation why Canon uses this fatal information politic?
... better experiences with the American Support?

Many thanks in advance for your interest and maybe help with my problem!

Steffen
Steffen Koepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

In the limited test that a friend and I did using Console when connected to an A1, we noticed that when the A1 was set to EXT. Control, we had no control over any of the camera controls. We couldn't even focus using the focus ring. We could focus using the controls in Console. However, if we were in Manual mode on the A1, then all the camera controls were working again, as would be expected. This led us to believe that EXT. Control gives complete control of the camera to Console, and the camera operator would have no control at all. Great, if you were setting up these camera's in locations where an operator can't be standing.

Like I said this was limited testing, probably around 15-20 minutes of just playing with Console.
Curtis Rhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Have you also noticed in Ext. Cont. mode that there's no menu access either?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks for your completions!
Remote controlling Parameters like Iris, Gain, Pedestal ... similarly to existing MCU/MCPs makes sense for the Console application.
Controlling Zoom and Focus !exclusively! over remote is not practicable and senseful, among other things because of its extremely long reaction delay over FireWire.
Any suggestions how to get bug fixing speeded up?
Steffen Koepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Steffen,

I have successfully duplicated your problem in not being able to use the LANC zoom/focus controller while in External Control Mode in conjunction with the Console Software.

For your information, you can use the Console Software, in a limited mode, with the XL H1 in normal modes, such as "Av", "Tv", "Manual", etc.

In this case the LANC controller does work, and you can also use some functions of the Console Software.
The "Camera Control" panel of the Console Software is disabled in this mode
(for example, the aperature and shutter speed can not be changed remotely in this mode),
but the "Custom Preset" panel does work and is very useful.

I fully understand why you want the LANC controller to work.

I have found that the zoom controls on the camera, as well as the zoom and focus rings on the lens, do work while in External Control Mode.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders