Problem with component-d out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 28th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Problem with component-d out

I have had my XL-H1 for 3 weeks now and I am encountering a problem. When I connect it to my Dell 24" through the component cable, my monitor displays the message "No signal". As I do not have any other component devices, neither another screen with a component input, it is hard to test what is wrong. The cable can also be the weak link. I am not sure. In the first week, I used all of them in the same setup and it worked fine. Is this something that other people encountered? Is there a setting I might have missed? If not, I guess the only thing I can do is go to someone with a HDTV and test if that works. If not, it is the camera or the cable. If it works, it is my monitor. I am still in my warranty period but I hope I am just missing a menu setting here.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Are you sure the Dell Component is not just Component OUT ?

Many of the laptops with component connections are just for playing out video - they are not component IN. They are used for Microsoft's Media Center to play out television.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #3
Major Player

It is a component input. The Dell has five inputs... And the strange thing is that it worked perfectly fine two weeks ago. I haven't used the component-d on my Canon XL-H1 ever since and when I wanted to use it yesterday, I got this "No signal" error message on my monitor screen. Normally, this would indicate that the monitor does not receive a signal from my camera. But I cannot see why it suddently stopped working. I hope I just need to change a setting.
Old November 28th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

VCR Program Mode > Signal Setup Menu > Comp. Out > 1080i/480i

VCR Program Mode > Signal Setup Menu > Playback Std. > Auto or HDV

Any Camera Mode > Signal Setup Menu > Comp. Out > 1080i/480i

Any Camera Mode > Signal Setup Menu > Signal Std. > HD

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Chris, I will check these settings when I arrive home tonight. If it still does not work, I will go to a friend with a HDTV to test if it is my monitor or the camera/cable. I hope it are just my settings. I really cannot think off one reason why it suddenly does not work anymore. No abuse here.
Old November 29th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #6
Major Player

The settings were OK. So it is either the camera, the cable or the monitor.
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #7
Major Player

Further testing showed that it was the Dell 24" monitor. I called with Dell and they know that there are problems with the component input. I have a Revision A03 screen and they say they are working on a solution.

I am very happy that it had nothing to do with my camera.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders