initial test of Century 0.8x disappointing.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:19 PM   #1
Trustee

initial test of Century 0.8x disappointing....

I had the opportunity to shoot for a while outside today with the Century Optics 0.8x wide angle lens. I was disappointed to see that there is an obvious softness at the far left and right edges of the screen. I had experienced this in the past with a 0.7x adapter on an XL2 but I was hoping the new 0.8x would not have these issues. However it does. To a lesser degree but it is there. I guess the best solution is the 6x WA from canon but it is so pricey.

Anyone else out there using any wide angle adapters with the H1? I know this particular issue is because it is a multi element zoom through adapter. When I used to use the .6x on my XL2 there was no softness but there was more geometric distortion. I'd prefer geometric distortion to blurrines or CA at the edges. I will try to post a few samples if I get a chance.

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

I've heard that about the Century .75x for the HVX as well. Maybe Century's zoom-through adapters just aren't up to par with these HD cams?

I tested the 16x9Inc .75x wide-angle converter; it's a lens-thread-mount converter with both 72mm and 82mm mounting. At full wide angle it's rock-solid and razor sharp from edge to edge. But at full telephoto it doesn't maintain that sharpness, at full tele it gets very fuzzy along the edges.

However, when you need a wide-angle it's for wide shots, right? I'd rather have it sharp on the wide (16x9inc) and fuzzy under telephoto, than sharp under telephoto (Century) and fuzzy on the wide.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #3
Trustee

Marty,
I've used my 3x canon wa lens with the h1 for some interviews, tight shots in small areas, and wedding reception interviews. It performs surprisingly well.I watched some footage shot in hdv on my Sony 30' hdtv, and it looks really good compared to stuff shot on the 20x. And for sd stuff, it looks great. I didn't do any scientific a/b test, but I was happy with the footage. It was also nice to be able to do the flange back adjustment. And since I haven't even paid my amex bill yet for the camera,it would be hard to justify the bew 6x wa lens...
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Trustee

I definitely cannot afford the 6x wide but a used 3x would be nice, especially if it is actually sharper than the CO adapters on the 20x or 16x manual.

Barry, you hit the nail on the head. If I put the WA adapter on the H1 it is because I need some wide shots....that is where I want it to be it's sharpest. When I zoom in the blurriness/CA is gone....presumabaly because I am looking through the center of the glass where it is very sharp still. But if I needed that I wouldn't use the WA in the first place!

Bummer that this is not easier than this.

Bruce.....any chance of getting a few frame grabs from the 3x wide?

Marty
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
I tested the 16x9Inc .75x wide-angle converter; it's a lens-thread-mount converter with both 72mm and 82mm mounting. At full wide angle it's rock-solid and razor sharp from edge to edge. But at full telephoto it doesn't maintain that sharpness, at full tele it gets very fuzzy along the edges.
Thanks for that info, Barry. I might try one of these on the front of my Fujinon lens (82mm) and see how it holds up on XDCAM HD.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders