SDI out for SD capture (with audio) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 7th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SDI out for SD capture (with audio)

For SD projects (ending on DVD) I usually edit on a 8bit uncompressed timeline for better graphics. On my last production I captured in-camera downconvertet DV from firewire, did editing, and then mixed on a uncompressed timeline (in FCP). The result did'nt look too good. In particular some HDV captured clips imported from a HDV timeline looked bad, so the capture HDV and then downconvert route doesnt seem to promissing either.

Starting a new project today I did a 8 bit uncompr. test-capture via XL-H1 SDI camera out, to decklink. I thought that looked way better. Crystal sharp. Only problem is XL-H1 SDI out has no embedded audio and Decklink expects that.

Any ideas on how to bring in the audio?
Kristian Indrehus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Major Player

You'll have to use the analog RCA audio outputs.
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #3
Trustee

there's also the $2k box from miranda that embeds the audio adn timecode, if that's something you're interested in.
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks. I tried to capture RCA but deck-link won't capture analog and SDI at the same time. I'll check out the Miranda box. Wish there was a workaround till I can get my hands of one though. Timecode I didn't even think of, does it mean I won't be able to recapture the SDI captured footage?
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #5
Trustee

Kristian,
Have you thought about using a seperate smll digital recorder for the audio? I haven't captured anything sdi yet, but when I do, that' what I'll try. I use an Edirol R-09 for seperate audio now (when it's only one or two tracks) and other than no TC, it works great.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Never thought of that. I have a M-audio Microtrack, records 24bit wav files.
I tend to capture hole tapes so that could work. Don´t know if it will keep sync for a hole hour, but that can be tweaked manually.

Think I will also give the HDV by firewire a second chance, and see if I can figure out why my SD downrez doesn't come out good. After reading some more posts here it seems like many choose to go that way.

Thanks a lot :)
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Indrehus
deck-link won't capture analog and SDI at the same time.
Are you using a PC? On a Mac just go into the system preferences
under decklink and change the input to analog.
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm on a Mac G5 and I tried that but I'm not able to choose analog audio when SDI is input.
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Does it look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
SDI out for SD capture (with audio)-decklink.jpg  
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Kristian- I have recorded 1.5 hours with my older XL 1 and a Hhb miniDisc recorder and had only a couple of frames shift over the entire time. If you really have to cut a frame or two at a quite moment or add a frame of duplicated background ambience. Worked great for me.
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #11
Regular Crew

It does NOT. I must have an old driver or something. Have to check my version. This looks promissing. Great help. Maybe there's hope after all.

(Sorry, missed your post Barry. I am of course referring to Will's post on decklink. And I agree the missing timecode is not a real problem)

Last edited by Kristian Indrehus; December 8th, 2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #12
Regular Crew

My version of decklink pref settings is 5.3.7 It´s the extreme SD version by the way. I will upgrade and see what happens.
Old December 8th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Nope. Upgraded to latest decklink driver and it looks like SDI video and analog audio capture is for HD-decklink only. There we go again. Guess it's high time I throw out the old SD card anyway.
Kristian Indrehus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders