DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Adding Pal to the H1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/81297-adding-pal-h1.html)

Bruce S. Yarock December 8th, 2006 04:20 PM

Adding Pal to the H1?

I'm doing some work with a couple of guys fom Germany, and they have a Pal H1. Do I have to send my camera back to Canon to get the pal upgrade,or can it be done through a dealer?
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Chris Hurd December 8th, 2006 04:24 PM

It must be done directly through Canon USA. Dealers aren't allowed to handle this, in order to restrict the potnetial for gray market goods.

Bruce S. Yarock December 8th, 2006 04:26 PM

Chris,
How long do you think I'd be without my camera?
Bruce S. Yarock

Chris Hurd December 8th, 2006 04:29 PM

Best for you to call Canon USA on Monday and ask them for yourself about the turn-around time. The phone number for the service center in Jamesburg, NJ is (732) 521-7007.

Bruce S. Yarock December 8th, 2006 06:31 PM

Thanks,Chris.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com

Marty Hudzik December 8th, 2006 08:23 PM

I have had to send my XL1 and my XL2 for service and both times it was less than a week. They are pretty good. Make sure to tell them how urgently you need it back. Also....ask to speak to Dottie. She was really good to deal with.

However if you ever need something fixed and you don;t know what the problem is, don't expect any real details. I had some image problems they sent it back and the invoice said "tested and reset to factory specs" the problem was gone but they really didn't tell me what they did. I'm a hands on guy and I like to know the details.

In your case Bruce you should be fine since it is an upgrade.

Peace!

Daniel Epstein December 9th, 2006 09:56 AM

When I was researching the Pal upgrade Canon told me it would be possible to drop off the camera in the morning and pick it up the same day in a few hours. Of course the place was in NJ and I could drive there from NY in about an hour.
If you are not near one of the Canon service centers you would can expect a short turnaround on the upgrade but the shipping will take most of the waiting time.
I never did take the camera to the service center but I plan to when I have some downtime.

Bruce S. Yarock December 9th, 2006 10:19 AM

Daniel,
I've sent stuff before to their Jamesburgh facility and the return time wa reasonable. I guess it would be 4 day if I next day'd the H1 to them. they usually ship back with Fedex. If I still lived in NYC, I'd just drive out there...
Btw, anyone know if the A1 can also be upgraded to pal?
bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com

Jason Strongfield December 9th, 2006 10:46 AM

yes, both upgrades will cost $500 each

Chris Hurd December 9th, 2006 11:05 AM

All three of the 3-chip Canon HDV camcorders can get the 50i upgrade... XL H1, XH G1 and XH A1.