Codec and focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 19th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #1
Trustee

Codec and focus

I've been testing my new XL H1 (editing on Avid Liquid) and first:
Focus: Have to be more careful when focusing because of the shivering (shaking treepod, wind, etc) and unclear pictures. You can see it when I zooming in to the seals on the rock.

Codec: What codec do you use for export (anyone out there)?

Here's a clip I did on some seals. I tried to zoome, distance is 300m.

http://www.gibbfilm.no/seltest.htm
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I couldn't get your link to work right, just took me to the site but no video. At 300m it will be dificult to keep it all stable, but all you can do is the best you can. Enjoy your camera.

Mike

P.S. Welcome to this great forum!
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Geir,

Welcome,like Mike has already posted you will need a good heavy duty tripod with a fluid head if you are going to zoom and the focusing needs to be spot on. Likewise with 300mm agian the focusing is very critical. Do you use focus expand and peaking?

As far as codecs are concerned I only capture HD with edius NX, edit in hd and convert to mpeg 2 from the timeline for dvd via procoder express.

Regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Trustee

Geir Inge, hello my good fellow!
I think Mick and Mike using MAC so they maybe not able to view the wmv-file! You should provide a -mov file at your site Geir Inge.

A steady tripod is important, especially in the telephoto-end. I will bring with me my heavy duty Miller Arrow HD tripod when I come visiting you. It's very steady even with a 300mm SLR lens, 2340mm equivalent with the XL-series.

I talked with Arne at the Liquid Forum today (The Norwegian Liquid Forum), he said that the best codec for export would be to use Fuse, but also Mpeg2 will do.
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Major Player

Gier and Per.

I'm not fruity, but PC, and I did manage to view your video. Gier it looks like you are meeting up with Per I'm sure you will get all the help you need

regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks for responding. Sorry (Mike Teutsch) if you didn't get to my video. It's a mediaplayer (wmv) file. I've tied to fuse from Liquid but get this error message bout not having the right codec, or only the soundfiles get fused. Haven't tried to export mpeg yet. My tripod is a Libec LS 55.
Looking forward to see you Per Johan, and for those of you not knowing: We'll be working together in 2007 on a project/naturefilm - starting up in february, though we never met before - only in the norwegian Avid Liquid forum :-)

Here's a link to the project site: Project
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge
Thanks for responding. Sorry (Mike Teutsch) if you didn't get to my video. It's a mediaplayer (wmv) file. I've tied to fuse from Liquid but get this error message bout not having the right codec, or only the soundfiles get fused. Haven't tried to export mpeg yet. My tripod is a Libec LS 55.
Looking forward to see you Per Johan, and for those of you not knowing: We'll be working together in 2007 on a project/naturefilm - starting up in february, though we never met before - only in the norwegian Avid Liquid forum :-)

Here's a link to the project site: Project

It may be my ignorance, but when I click on the link it takes me to another site with links to start or something else. No matter where I click I don't get a seal movie.

I don't claim to be that savy, but just couldn't find the link to your specific seal movie. I am a PC person and Wmv are not a problem, so I don't understand it.

opps

Just couldn't figure yours out-----My bad!

Mike

Last edited by Mike Teutsch; December 21st, 2006 at 06:48 AM.
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 01:45 AM   #8
Trustee

Hi Mike.
Well, it's integrated to the site and maybe take some time to load automatic.
But try this link instead: SEAL

To your video:
It's a serious and importen issue - alzhiemers.
Your video is heavy stuff, but it give us something to think about and your video explains it all in those 50 sec.

Well done!
Geir Inge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders