New guy looking for info - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 21st, 2006, 09:19 PM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
As an indirect plug for a fellow DVinfo member, I think Steven Dempsey is selling his H1 at a very good rate. I know of one other person who was looking to sell theirs but I do not want to post without talking to them first. They are both very reputable people on these boards.
Good point, Marty. To any newcomers here, if you can't afford to buy new from our sponsors, then consider buying used from our members. Our private classifieds forum becomes visible after your registration with us has been active for 30 days.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:26 PM   #17
Trustee

Oops! I didn't realize that new members could not even see the classified section for 30 days! My bad!

Hey Chris.....have figured out how to stop Christmas from coming yet?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:41 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Oops! I didn't realize that new members could not even see the classified section for 30 days! My bad!

Hey Chris.....have figured out how to stop Christmas from coming yet?

Just don't pay your credit card bill! :)

Mike
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:44 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Just don't pay your credit card bill! :)

Mike
My credit card is in sad shape because of Christmas! It's the bill in January that I won't be able to pay!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:49 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
My credit card is in sad shape because of Christmas! It's the bill in January that I won't be able to pay!

Isn't this a great way we have come to ring in the New Year! Classifieds and ebay here I come, time to unload.

Mike
Old December 25th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Good point, Marty. To any newcomers here, if you can't afford to buy new from our sponsors, then consider buying used from our members. Our private classifieds forum becomes visible after your registration with us has been active for 30 days.
Hi,

Just wondering if it's 30 days exact to see the classifieds? I see no section yet. I'm looking to buy, not sell anything. Can't remember my exact "join date". Thanks.
MB
Mike Bagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #22
Wrangler

Mike, your profile shows a join date of 1 Nov 2006, so you SHOULD be able to see the Private Classified section. I'm not sure if access is granted automatically or has to be done manually. No doubt Chris will check into it shortly.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #23
Major Player

If a H1 is too much money, then get a G1 for $1500 or so less

Jim Martin
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #24
New Boot

Yeah Im Thinking About Doing Just That But Im Also Thinking Twice About If I Really Need The Pro Jack Pack, I Dont Know If Its Somthing I Really Need. Any Thoughts?
Neil Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #25
Major Player

G1 Jackpack gives you 3 potentially important benefits depending on your needs:

1. HD/SD - SDI output WITH embedded Timecode & Audio (timecode and audio are missing in big brother H1 unfortunately). This means you can record far higher quality than HDV compression to a Waffian or other HD deck.

2. Timecode synch for use in matching timecode with other cameras in a multi-cam shoot for ease of synching up cameras on the NLE timeline.

3. Genlock for multi-cam live studio type switching - there are some small regional stations setting up studios with multiple H1's - don't see why the same wouldn't work for the G1.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Anderson
Yeah Im Thinking About Doing Just That But Im Also Thinking Twice About If I Really Need The Pro Jack Pack, I Dont Know If Its Somthing I Really Need. Any Thoughts?
Also keep in mind you could get a used H1 for around the cost of a new G1. Then you have intechangable lenses too....and what I feel is a better form factor. I use the 20x lens and the 16x manual about 50/50. If I had the 6x WA I'd be using that too!

Just something to consider. I sold my H1 in early November, got an A1 and hated it! Not because it was a bad camera or anything, but because I do not prefer the "handycam" body style. I could not hold it steady handheld and make tweaks and adjust things without jiggling or moving the camera. I know there are options to mount it on shoulder style rigs....but they weren't for me.

I returned it and bought a used H1 again! I lost some serious cash in the process but I am back to a camera I love and I have to consider the cash lost an expense to learn my lesson. And I have a manual lens again too. And I am finally shooting and not worrying about the "next great thing".

The A1/G1 may be ok for you if you like that style of camera. The A1 in particular is great for the price. But the H1 is my first choice. I will add an A1 to my arsenal alter this year if workload and pay permits. Hopefully it will!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders