New guy looking for info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 21st, 2006, 01:47 PM   #1
New Boot

New guy looking for info

I'm about to buy an xl-h1 but I have questions that maybe some of you guys can answer; how inportant is the image stabilization lens? I found a place that sells the xl-h1 without that lens and makes the camera much more afordable to me.
And I think ive read somwhere that the xl-h1 isn't able to work with final cut pro.How can you get it to work? Thanks guys!
Neil Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Neil,

The stock 20x image-stabilised lens normally included with the XL H1 is the *least expensive* HD lens available for that camera. Plus, if you buy the camera without a lens, how are you going to be able to shoot with it? There isn't much you can do with a camera body that doesn't have a lens.

The most recent version of Final Cut Pro is fully compatible with the XL H1 and other Canon HDV camcorders. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The 1299.95 16x Manual is not a bad choice either,
although it is not a "real" HD lens according to Canon.

-will
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Trustee

Chris is pretty much dead on. Buying the16x manual lens that works pretty darn well with the H1 despite it technically not being rated for HD is the only other realistic option if you are trying to save money. I have never seen the XL-H1 body only kit or the HD 20x lens only to have a gauge as to their individual prices. How much can you get the H1 body for by itself?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:42 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Griffith
The 1299.95 16x Manual is not a bad choice either,
although it is not a "real" HD lens according to Canon.

-will
The 16x manual lens can usually be found used for under $900 and sometimes as low as $700-$750. Anybody know what the 20x HD lens is priced out by itself?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Zotz Digital sells both.
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:53 PM   #7
New Boot

Sorry I made it sound as if they are selling it without any lens.It is the non-image stabilized lens that it comes with and I would like to know if its somthing that is nessesary with this camera. I plan on getting a stedi-cam to go with the xl-h1 so would the image stabilizer just be redundent?
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:54 PM   #8
New Boot

here is the url for the site that is selling the camra [Moderator note: non-sponsor link removed].
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:05 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Please please do not try to buy from these sites. I can almost assure you that this is a ripoff.

See this forums sponsers, B&H etc......

Mike
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:08 PM   #10
New Boot

What Are Some Things I Should Be Aware Of When Buying From A Site Like This.because They Have A Teliphone Nuber On The Site, Contact Info And A Posted Returns Policy.what Kind Of Rip-off Do You Think This Is?
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:13 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Incomplete units, grey market cameras with no warranties, very high shipping rates, credit card fraud, no camera shipped--------It goes on and on.

If it sounds to good to be true----------!

Mike
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:26 PM   #12
New Boot

YEAH AFTER READING YOUR WARNING I LOOKED INTO THEM AND READ WHAT OTHERS HAVE HAD TO SAY ABOUT THEM [Moderator note: nonsponsor reference removed] THANKS MIKE!
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:30 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Anderson
YEAH AFTER READING YOUR WARNING I LOOKED INTO THEM AND READ WHAT OTHERS HAVE HAD TO SAY ABOUT THEM http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CCI_Camera_City THANKS MIKE!

Last time I checked, B&H had a used one in stock for about $7,500. About as good as you can do.

Mike
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:40 PM   #14
Wrangler

Just a friendly reminder that in addition to all the good, practical reasons mentioned already to be cautious about where to shop online, that sponsorship by handpicked companies makes DVinfo possible. So as stated in the policy page, we in turn limit our referrals and discussion of "where to buy" to those sponsors.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:17 PM   #15
Trustee

As an indirect plug for a fellow DVinfo member, I think Steven Dempsey is selling his H1 at a very good rate. I know of one other person who was looking to sell theirs but I do not want to post without talking to them first. If you are interested shoot me an email....I could put you in contact with them. They are both very reputable people on these boards.

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders