XL-H1 6x lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 26th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #1
Tod Geddes

XL-H1 6x lens

I'm considering purchasing this lens, but would like to see the manual for it before purchasing it... is it available on line or could someone post a copy of it?

thanks
Old December 26th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Geddes
I'm considering purchasing this lens, but would like to see the manual for it before purchasing it... is it available on line or could someone post a copy of it?

thanks
Did a quick search and did not come up with a manual, but you can check this link out for the features.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14556

The manuals on the lenses tend to be a simple sheet of paper with the specs and the procedure for back flange adjustment and that is all.

What information are you looking for?

Mike
Old December 26th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Trustee

Todd,
I emailed you about mine.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Geddes

thanks
Its a brillant lens! We are very impressed.....No ca in the corners...distortion minimal....and some of our more desriminating clients love it.....iris ring.....

Jim Martin
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
Todd,
I emailed you about mine.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce.....you have 6x lens already? Or I am misunderstanding?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #6
Trustee

Duh....
I missread the title of the post and thought it was about the 16x...
Bruce S. Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #7
Wrangler

Mike is correct about the instructions; they're not really a "manual" but a large sheet with one column per language. Since nobody's found the instructions posted yet, I won't take it upon myself to post a copy on the internet. However, I'll give a quick overview:

Describes in very brief and basic terms how to:
Mount and unmount the lens and hood.
Use the 3 rings (manual focus, zoom, and iris)
Set other functions
- AF - M
- AF Push button
- ND Filter
- Mode selector (Min Object Dist)
- Focus/Zoom Presets

Gives the standard cautions and notes that Canon lists in other lens instructions, plus a mention that the optional Extender XL 1.6X is NOT recommended for this wide angle lens.

Lists the specs, most of which are in this article on the content side of DVinfo: http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxlh1/articles/article21.php

Others have had pretty glowing words for the lens, but I just got it and haven't had a chance to do more than load the 1.0.4.0 firmware update (included, with simple-to-follow printed instructions, on a 16MB SD card) to my cameras. It does come in a much nicer zippered soft case than the drawstring cases that accompanied previous lenses. Also in the box were a lens hood, cap, lens cloth, and warranty card.

If you could use a wide lens for your XL H1, I wouldn't worry about waiting to see the instructions. If you've been shooting with XL cameras already, you'll be right at home with this lens. From a useability standpoint, it is a variation on the Canon servo lens theme, with the one big difference being the manual iris ring.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #8
Trustee

Can it Zoom and Manual Focus at the same Time?

Can anyone who has the lens figure out if the new 6X can zoom and be manually focused at the same time? Unlike the 20X
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #9
Inner Circle

As long as your little hands and fingers can do it! It is not servo controlled, it is manual, meaning you, controled. The 20x lens is servo, read motor controlled, the 6x is full manual meaning "you" controlled.

Mike
Old December 26th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #10
Wrangler

Unfortunately, not. This is not a full-manual lens like the 16X, but a servo lens like the 3X and 20X lenses. The difference between AF and Manual Focus is in whether the camera or you tells the lens where to set the focal point, which in either case it does using servos. While you are zooming, the focal point doesn't change because the one servo motor is being used by the zoom.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #11
Inner Circle

My Bad! :)

I'm thinking 16x again!

Mike
Old June 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Image Stabilization

Am I right in saying that this lens does not have image stablization...and if so why?
Old June 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Image stabilization isn't needed on a wide angle lens, so there's no point in paying for it.

The longer the focal length is, the greater the need for image stabilization. When the field of view is magnified at the telephoto end of the zoom, so too is the amount of unwanted vibration. At wide angles, however, you should already have the ability and skill to hold the camera steady without the need for OIS. Leaving it out of the lens design helps to keep the price low.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM   #14
Trustee

If it makes a difference to you, the lens is NOT suitable for repeatable focus (this is inherent in the servo lenses that canon makes but for some reason there was a rumor out there that you could use it that way, which is not true) SO if you have a follow focus you want to use, setting focus marks will do you little good.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders