DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Using the SD Card for PRESETS (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/82908-using-sd-card-presets.html)

Matthew Roddy January 1st, 2007 05:19 PM

Using the SD Card for PRESETS

I've posted this question in the CUSTOM PRESETS thread, but there hasn't been a reply in four or five days. Either the question is just that bone-headed, no one felt it warranted a reply, or that thread is not frequented during these holidays.
I hope I'll be forgiven for cross posting it here (I've searched the manual and this forum, but to no avail).
How do I get data from my computer here - onto the memory stick?
I'd like to download the CPF files posted here and try them out on my H1, but I can't get a grip on getting the data onto the card.
Any help would be most appreciated. Even if it's just the right key words to do a search with - or better yet, a link.

Thanks very much.

Pete Bauer January 1st, 2007 05:35 PM

Sorry, Matthew, I guess we just overlooked your post during the holidays. You may have to manually create a PRESET folder on the SD card...see this post by Chris for details:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....60&postcount=9

If that doesn't get you started, post back.

Also, just so nobody gets confused on the terminology, the XL and XH cameras use SD cards (a 16MB card is included with the cameras). "Memory Stick" is a proprietary Sony format that is not compatible.

Matthew Roddy January 1st, 2007 05:54 PM

My apologies for the misnomer; Memory Card it is. I'm, for some reason, just used to calling those little cards, "Sticks."

My problem is even more basic than you predict. I'm that much of a Newbie. I can't even figure out how to get the data from my computer ONTO the card. Let alone, how to make folders within the card.
My assumption was that if I hook the computer up to the H1 via firewire, there would be a new drive on my explorer. From there, I could make a folder called "PRESETS" and then dump the CPF files in there. Then i could access them from the H1 as detailed in the manual.

So, if you please, how do I create data on the Card and get data from my PC onto that card.

Thanks very much for your super-fast reply! Gotta love the Modern Age.

Pete Bauer January 1st, 2007 09:30 PM

If I'm having a brain cramp, I'm sure someone will correct me. I think the only way to exchange still image files and preset files between the SD card and your computer is to remove the card from the camera and insert it into a reader on your computer.

That seems a bit odd, but if correct I guess it reminds us that this is a video camera first and a still camera a distant second. If you don't have a card reader, that's easy to remedy...you can get a 7-in-1 or 9-in-1 USB 2.0 multi-card reader most anyplace (Fry's, CompUSA, Best Buy) for probably around $10.

The folder name has to be PRESET (singular), not PRESETS (plural), and in the root of the drive.

Chris Hurd January 1st, 2007 11:59 PM

For the sake of greater accuracy and less confusion, the thread title has been changed from "Using the Memory Stick for PRESETS" to "Using the SD Card for PRESETS."

Matthew, as Pete states above, you'll need an SD card reader for your computer. You can get a card reader at any store where digital still cameras are sold. It costs about $10 and connects to your computer via a USB jack. If all of your USB jacks are already connected to other things, then it's time for a USB hub as well. They're not very expensive either. Hope this helps,

Matthew Roddy January 2nd, 2007 12:40 AM

Thanks Pete and Chris.
This answers all my questions (about this). Much appreciated.

Matthew Roddy January 3rd, 2007 02:09 AM

Thanks again!
I just went to Best Buy (closest thing to me) and got a SanDisk 5 in 1, which reads the card perfectly. It was $22.00, though, so anyone thinking that Best Buy is a ... well a best buy, I recommend you go to Fry's or Amazon or somewhere else. Best Buy is convenient (and actually helpful), but not so cheep.
But I'm happy. I now have all 17 CPFs (found here in the above Sticky) to play with, so Thanks All Around!!!