Battery Warning Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 4th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Battery Warning Question

I've purchased a nice Marshall monitor. I'm not thrilled with it yet (it seems to be very angle critical and difficult to set up it's colours).
My question is:
I have the gold mount on my H1. I've got the power cable that goes from that gold mount and have attached that to my Marshall. As soon as I do that - with a fully charged Anton Bauer Dionic, the battery warning flashes on the H1. Is this normal when the camera is sharing power with another unit?
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #2
DVi Contributor

well lt is probably a false positive reading. the adapter drops all voltage down to 7.5 for the camera. the amperage of the battery is still quite high enough to run the camera and the AB range starts at 14.5 volts correct? Our propacks are maxed at over 15 volts. so it takes a really long tome to trigger the error warning light., anything under 14 volts, but if your running ext draws as well, the monitor, you can trigger this. It also will happen if the batts are older and fall below the 14.5 range really fast. On some of our older batts this has happened, however the cmera will still record for sometime. you will have to do some testing to find out really how long you can record after the warning is triggered.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #3
Trustee

Marshall,
When I first got my dionic 90 for my XL2, I tried using it to power both the camera nd my Frezzi light. I burned through batteries too quickly, so now I power the camera with several Canon batts, and save the Ab for my light, or whatever.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Matthew, which Marshall typy is it? What is the current consumption (Amp) of that monitor?
Will the battery indicator on your H1 just be pulsed a short time or will it stay on when you have switched on your monitor?
I use a Dionic 90 to feed our XL H1, 30 watts of Zylight LED light and a Zaxcom wireless receiver. It runs the whole setup 2.5 hours or so.

The drawback I have found is despite the "RealTime" LCD display counting remaining hours and quarters, it is usually very wrong at low load (camcorder alone). It can show plenty of time remaining (for instance one hour) and about 5 minutes later the battery indicator in the camera turns on and a few minutes later it dies.

The camcorder battery warning comes very late.
I think it is due to the Anton Bauer switching DC/DC converter with input 14 V and output 7.4 V. Switching power supply usually have a broad input range and will continue to feed the camera with correct voltage until the battery is nearly empty. At that time the voltage drops steeply in almost no time. So the camera battery light does not see any voltage drop until the battery is nearly empty thanks to the DC/DC converter.

But why the so called "RealTime" indicator at the Anton Bauer is so unreliable at low power consumption I don't know. /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Forssblad
Matthew, which Marshall typy is it? What is the current consumption (Amp) of that monitor?

I'm using the Marshall 10.4in w/HDSDI. I went all out - and now I'm KIND of regretting it. I use the monitor ON CAMERA because I also use the RedRock Micro M2 and need something relyable for focus (mainly). That's a big mother! Balence is tough and just mounting the bad boy is a challenge.
But I have found that the monitor chews through my Dionics in about 15 min, when mounted linked to the camera. My Hytrons, however, last a few hours (haven't done specific testing yet).

Quote:
Will the battery indicator on your H1 just be pulsed a short time or will it stay on when you have switched on your monitor?
Only comes on when I turn on the monitor.

Quote:
I use a Dionic 90 to feed our XL H1, 30 watts of Zylight LED light and a Zaxcom wireless receiver. It runs the whole setup 2.5 hours or so.
MAYBE my Dionics are just too old... I'll look into that.

Quote:
The drawback I have found is despite the "RealTime" LCD display counting remaining hours and quarters, it is usually very wrong at low load (camcorder alone). It can show plenty of time remaining (for instance one hour) and about 5 minutes later the battery indicator in the camera turns on and a few minutes later it dies.
I'm very familiar with that.

Quote:
But why the so called "RealTime" indicator at the Anton Bauer is so unreliable at low power consumption I don't know. /Johan
When I used to shoot my ABs on my BetaSP setup, the readout was pretty darned accurate.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders