I want to shoot an XL-H1 as i would shoot my EOS 5D. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 8th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I want to shoot an XL-H1 as i would shoot my EOS 5D.

Any ideas on how to customize the XLH1 in order to make it more like a camera for photojournalism, like a street photographer would shoot a Canon EOS 5D. I thought about L-series EOS lenses instead of the HD Stock Lens, but i don't know if that is a wise idea because the L-series EOS lenses are not "HighDef".
What is an efficient way to check, correct and follow focus when you are on your own? Many Questions.
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #2
Trustee

EOS lenses are not the way to go if you want to use the XL H1 body for street photojournalism. The main reason is that any SLR lens will be magnified more than seven times on the H1 body, so even an EOS wide angle lens becomes a telephoto lens, and any lens longer than a normal 50mm SLR is transformed into an extreme super telephoto lens.

This means that your ONLY option is to use the stock Canon XL DV lenses (P+S Technik Digital Image Converters and others are geared mainly towards tripod or studio work and not really for journalism/run-'n-gun/ off-the-shoulder shooting).

The stock 20X IS lens is actually perfect for photojournalism, and matched with the 6X lens, should provide all that you need.

The Canon 16X Manual Servo lens (an SD lens, but still sharp on the H1) is also a decent option if you can't get on with the stock 20X autofocus, although the IS on the 20X lens will help quite a lot if you do a lot of shoulder work instead of on a tripod.

If you shoot a lot of wide-angle footage and can't afford the highly-regarded Canon 6X HDV Manual lens, then try the older Canon 3X SD AF lens, or place a high quality wide angle converter on the front of the Stock 20X - such as the Red Eye .7X FX HDV lens.

I use 35mm SLR lenses quite a lot for my DV work, but this is mainly for super-telephoto footage subjects such as wildlife (or sometimes at the other end of the scale for extreme macro), but the vast majority of my photojournlism in DV is done with the Canon XL range of DV lenses and not the SLR lenses.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders