DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL1s to XL H1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/83632-xl1s-xl-h1.html)

Dick Walton January 11th, 2007 07:00 AM

XL1s to XL H1

I'm about to make the jump to HD cam. I have several questions about lenses.

1) If I use Canon Extender XL 1.6x with the H1's 20x HD lens will this affect image quality and/or auto-lens funtions?

2) I use a Tamron 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 LD Tele-Macro (1:2) with the Canon EF Adapter XL on my XL1s. This enables me to get macro shots (cu of insects etc.) as well as long shots (birds etc.). Assuming I can get the "long" shots with the configuration described in "1)" above, what are my options for a macro lens that will not "degrade" the HD quality of the H1. If possible I'd appreciate suggestions for specific macro lens (make & model).

Many Thanks

Dan Keaton January 11th, 2007 08:45 AM

Based on posts that I remember reading on this site, yes, the Canon 1.6 extender will affect your image quality.

But, remember that the stock Canon 20x lens is already longer in focal length than the original 16x lens on the XL1s.

Also, if you are planning on putting you footage on a standard DVD, then if you shoot in HDV, with a camera such as a Canon XL H1, then you can "zoom in" in post with excellent results. Actually this is a very good techique, in my opinion, since precise framing is not as critical.

A friend of mine was shooting with my XL H1, and did a pan and zoom to a particular subject. In post, I used Vegas, and then continued the pan and zoom to suit my artistic preferences.

The footage was put onto a regular DVD for distribution and no one could tell that the pan and zoom was done in post. There is a lot of resolution to play with if you shoot with an XL H1 in HDV mode!

Tony Davies-Patrick January 13th, 2007 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Walton

2) I use a Tamron 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 LD Tele-Macro (1:2) with the Canon EF Adapter XL on my XL1s. This enables me to get macro shots (cu of insects etc.) as well as long shots (birds etc.). Assuming I can get the "long" shots with the configuration described in "1)" above, what are my options for a macro lens that will not "degrade" the HD quality of the H1. If possible I'd appreciate suggestions for specific macro lens (make & model).

Many Thanks

The Tamron zoom will provide decent results, but if you are jumping up to HDV, then I can't see the sense in not trying to obtain the best possible image quality to match the XL-H1 and the extra cash that you've spent above the XL1s.

Any of the SLR prime macro lenses should provide you with high quality footage. Try to remember that the advantage gained with distance-from-subject in using a 100mm, 150mm, 180mm or 200mm Macro lens on an SLR/DSLR will be taking to the extreme when matched to a H1 (because of 7.2 X magnification), so it is wiser to use a shorter Macro lens such as the 50mm or 60mm Macro.

The Canon Macro and Nikkor Micro lenses are the best built, but the Tamron, Tokina and Sigma provide image quality to match them in their Macro lens range.

If you cannot get on with prime fixed macro lenses such as the 50mm Macro, then another superb (but expensive) option is the Nikon Nikkor 70-180mm zoom Micro (although it does have a smaller maximum aperture to work with).

Even a 50mm lens may be difficult to keep free from vibration in Macro shooting, so it might also be worthwhile to experiment with the superb Sigma 28mm or 24mm F/1.8 EX DG Macro lenses (make sure that you buy the ones with the aperture ring). I use both of these wide-Macro lenses and they offer superb quality when stopped down.

Don't forget that the Canon XL 16X Manual Servo lens and the stock Canon XL AF 20X HDV lens both offer semi-macro capabilities in providing very tight image framing at minimum focus (the Manual 16X lens offers a 'Macro' switch whereas the 20X lens will autofocus directly into 'macro' close-up).