DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Does the H1 shoot in standard def as well as HD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/83814-does-h1-shoot-standard-def-well-hd.html)

Gary Gonsalves January 13th, 2007 12:10 PM

Does the H1 shoot in standard def as well as HD?

I have an XL2 and am interested in getting a second camera. Does the XL H1 only shoot in HD or will it also shoot in SD? Since I am not just yet ready to make the switch to a complete HD system but would like the option later on.

Thanks

Geir Inge January 13th, 2007 02:37 PM

hi Gary.
it shoot in both HD and SD, there's a switch for you to choose, so it's easy done. I've just got one myself and like it a lot :-)

Gary Gonsalves January 13th, 2007 06:46 PM

Thanks

Thanks for your quick response and answer.

Jonas Nystrom January 14th, 2007 02:11 PM

Shoot in HD and downconvert to SD in HDVxDV. Then you have a HD master for the future!

Willard Hill January 14th, 2007 04:32 PM

Jonas's method is definitely the way to go as if you shoot in SD you will never be able to utilize the full potential of your camera, but if you shoot in HDV it is easy to down convert to SD and you will still have the HDV original should you wish to edit in that mode in the future.

Geir Inge January 15th, 2007 01:10 AM

I agree with the other ones Gary, in the shooting matter, you can also shoot in 16:9 in both SD/HD and I think the XLH1, in many ways, are much like your own XL2.

Dan Keaton January 15th, 2007 07:53 AM

I would be very leary of any filter labeled "HD" as this just seems to be hype.

However, if the "HD" logo is meaningful in some way, such as the filter being multi-coated on both sides, then I would consider it.

Many on this site highly recommend multi-coated filters for your expensive HD camera. I feel that this is good advice, but many filter manufacturers do not multicoat their filters.

It is sometimes difficult to determine if a filter is multi-coated by reading the filter manufacturers' websites. For example, Formatt filters (most if not all) are multi-coated, but they do not say this on their website. Tiffen states in their FAQ's that their filters are not multi-coated.

There is a wide range of quality and performance in filters.

If you check out the B&H website, they note in the filter's specifications if the filter is multi-coated or not. However, not all multi-coatings are created equal.

Dan Keaton January 18th, 2007 07:25 PM

Correction: Formatt filters are not multi-coated.

I based my post, that Formatt filters were multi-coated, on B&H's website.

However, Formatt has informed me, via a personal email, that their filters are not multi-coated. I have not yet tested their filters to see if they are multi-coated.

Formatt's website does not state that their filters are multi-coated.