Pre-purchase Jitters and ?s - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy
I purchased that HD filter. Sure is clean and nice. I can't compare it to a "SD" filter, but I can tell you this: plan on getting a different kind of lens cap.
Bugger, that.
Even a standard/generic 72mm cap didn't do it. Plan on finding either "over filter" cap or something else. I ended up with (I think) a 67mm that JUST fit inside the filter without touching the glass.
Specifically, what filter did you purchase?

This does not sound right. I have many 72mm filters for my Canon Lenses. In all cases the standard lens cap fits fine.

Did you purchase a "Thin" or "Slim" filter that does not have any outer (front) threads, one that an additional filter can not be screwed onto?
Some "Slim" filters come with an "over the filter" cap.
Old January 15th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton

This does not sound right. I have many 72mm filters for my Canon Lenses. In all cases the standard lens cap fits fine.

Did you purchase a "Thin" or "Slim" filter that does not have any outer (front) threads, one that an additional filter can not be screwed onto?
That is what I found when I went to B&H. No outer threads on the filters I looked at.
Old January 15th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #18
Major Player

About filters

All filters are not equal but how much do you need to pay to get a good one? I don't know. Maybe it is about time for someone here to do a practical filter shootout; one without filter, and a few with cheap and expensive filters.

I know from my time at Victor Hasselblad we had a discussion about their expensive filters. The technicians at the development department told me that especially for long telephoto lenses, the filter surfaces have to be very parallel because otherwise it will act as one extra front lens, detoriorating the otherwise carefully designed lens system. They had found not all filters were created equal. (The tele lens has a more flat front lens than its wide angled cousin and a non parallel filter causes a a relatively larger difference.)

So please go ahead and make a test. It could be very interesting. Why spend excessive money on the filter if it doesn't make any difference? Better put the money on other stuff. But I guess this HD camera needs good parallel glass, especially when you put on any of the tele converters ...

BTW, the thin filter without threads at the front is made for wide angle lenses where the protruding metal could vignette the picture. Also useful as the front filter if you need to stack several filters. I prefer an ordinary UV filter with front threads for the 20x lens. It gives a little more protection and you could put on a polarizing filter or anything else on top.

I have recorded about 40 Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ successfully and have had no problems so far. I used a cleaning tape after 25 tapes just briefly for safety before an important shoot. I would take this tape over Sony even if I could get the Sony for half the price. But that is my opinion. Sure many tapes could work. It is also a question about what a lost take is worth to you. But I wouldn't put cheap tapes in my camera.

I guess there is a hype about this HD and clever or not knowing salesmen/companies try to get extra here ...

Of course a HD camera needs better tape than a DV camera with a quarter of the resolution they may tell you and most people take that bite.

Not so, the data rate is not faster because the frames are more compressed. The HDV is compressed over a group of frames (GOP). So it is very important to not get any drop-out. Any minor dirt or bad part of the tape could ruin a dozen of frames or so.

Conclusion: You need a tape with consistent quality with no dirt. A tape which could be stored without change over time. A tape with good lubrication which will not cause loose particles. And so on. Or in other words: Exactly what a premium Master (mini-DV) tape is produced for. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Johan Forssblad; January 16th, 2007 at 01:38 AM.
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Forssblad
All filters are not equal but how much do you need to pay to get a good one? I don't know. Maybe it is about time for someone here to do a practical filter shootout; one without filter, and a few with cheap and expensive filters.

I know from my time at Victor Hasselblad we had a discussion about their expensive filters. The technicians at the development department told me that especially for long telephoto lenses, the filter surfaces have to be very parallel because otherwise it will act as one extra front lens, detoriorating the otherwise carefully designed lens system. They had found not all filters vere created equal.

So please go ahead and make a test. I guess this HD camera needs good parallel glass.

BTW, the thin filter without threads at the front is made for wide angle lenses where the protruding metal could vignette the picture. Also useful if you need to stack several filters. I prefer an ordinary filter with front threads for the 20x lens. A little more protection and you could put on a polarizing filter or anything else on top.
Good post Johan! Yup, the filter should be flat, clear, and parallel. Lacking in any of those could cause distortion, but it would probably be hard for anyone to see it, depending on the subject. Shooting a chart yes, shooting wildlife probably not.

Buy what you can afford.

Mike
Old January 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton

I don't have the camera here, so I can't check the brand name, but yes, there is no front threading. The Canon cap has nothing to grab on to.
I honestly dind't know what I was getting. The sales guy said, "Ohh.. You GOTTA get this cool HD filter." I said, "Really, why?" "Well you have a hi-def camera, right? You NEED this HD glass." I bought it - literally and figuratively.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #21
New Boot

My XLH1 should be coming this week or early next, so i'm looking at this thread for hints/tips.

I have the option to use either

Sony DVM63HDV
Sony DVM60PR
Panasonic DVM60FE
Panasonic DVM63PQ

Which model would you guys suggest?

They're all relatively cheap tapes, with the top being the most expensive, and the bottom second expensive.

I will be buying 50 of these tapes, that would also be used in a Sony Z1(on hire) also. Aswell as an XL2.

Martin
Martin Downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #22
Trustee

Hi Martin D.
I think you have to try out what you think is the best tape.
I myself use this one, Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ Mini DV Tape 63Min Master Grade, and think it works fine on my XL H1.
Earlier I used a cheaper tape, I had some bad experience with, but not with this one.

I dont use "cheap" tape shooting in HD, but than again, different countries - different prices, so a cheap tape in one country might not be so cheap in another country :-)
Compared to other countries, Norway isn't the cheapest country to buy electronics and "stuff". One DV-mini tape with good quality is about 70 NOK, in US dollar it'll be around 8 - 9.

Good luck with your new camera, I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot.
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Dear Matthew,

Formatt labels some of their filters "HD".

I consider Formatt filters to be very good. If you have a Formatt filter, do not feel that you have been ripped off as you have a very high quality filter.
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #24
Contributor

I'm also using the Panasonic AMQ tapes.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders