DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Pre-purchase Jitters and ?s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/83866-pre-purchase-jitters-s.html)

Dick Walton January 14th, 2007 09:46 AM

Pre-purchase Jitters and ?s

Sorry for the multiple threads but a few pre-purchase questions (and jitters) have come up after talking with B&H rep.

He is recommending HD filters . . . is this the way to go with UV and Polarizing filters? Is there a difference between SD filters and HD filters?

He also suggests Sony HD Master @ $16.00/tape; After reading posts here I was planning to go with Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ @ $5.19/tape

Thanks again!

Mike Teutsch January 14th, 2007 09:56 AM

Don't be sorry for multiple threads, put all of your questions into one!

There is no discount for buying at B&H that I know of, except the peace of mind you get by doing it. That alone is well worth it!

I would think that a good name brand filter would be just fine, Tiffen, etc... Just don't get a $5.00 new one off of ebay.

I use Sony premium tapes, I buy 50 at a time, at about $3.00 a piece and have never had a single problem.

Good luck with your new camera, I hope you do get it.

Mike

Dan Keaton January 14th, 2007 10:45 AM

Dear Dick,

The Panasonic tape you selected, AY-DVM63MQ, is a very good choice.

Others have had good luck with more economical tapes. Personally, I use the Panasonic Master Quality tape that you have choosen.

It is highly recommended that you chose one tape and stick with it. By this I mean that you should only record to the tape you select, and equally important that you only playback this type of tape.

Of course, as you probably know, others disagree with this advice.

But you are about to purchase a very good and expensive camera. A few extra dollars per tape is rather insignificant and good insurance against having problems.

Sony tapes are another good choice. For what it's worth, on every professional shot that I have been on, they have used the Panasonic Master Quality tapes. This was good for me as I would not have wanted to put another tape in my camera anyway.

Ian Thomas January 14th, 2007 01:54 PM

Sorry to butt in, iam finding this tape thing a bit confusing to say the least

When i got my XLH1 it came with 3 sony digital master tapes of which i have not used, as iam also using Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ and due to the weather have only shot 2 tapes so far with no problems!

It just worrys me that if you have chance of that great shot and then its wasted by dropouts you would have wished you had the more expensive tape

Dick Walton January 14th, 2007 02:14 PM

HD Lens Filters

So . . .can anyone pipe in on HD vs SD lens filters. Do you use them, are they necessary ($100.00 + for UV - quote from B&H and a special order to boot)?

Mike Teutsch January 14th, 2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Thomas
Sorry to butt in, iam finding this tape thing a bit confusing to say the least

When i got my XLH1 it came with 3 sony digital master tapes of which i have not used, as iam also using Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ and due to the weather have only shot 2 tapes so far with no problems!

It just worrys me that if you have chance of that great shot and then its wasted by dropouts you would have wished you had the more expensive tape

Spend your money then, but I'll keep mine!

Mike

Mike Teutsch January 14th, 2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Walton
So . . .can anyone pipe in on HD vs SD lens filters. Do you use them, are they necessary ($100.00 + for UV - quote from B&H and a special order to boot)?

What does it tell you when, with all the HD cameras that B&H sells that, they have to special order this $100.00 UV filter?

Mike

Willard Hill January 14th, 2007 04:26 PM

I have no actual knowledge as to the filter issue, but it doesn't seem likely that there would be a significant performance difference as the standard filters are quite acceptable for digital slrs.

I have used the Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ tapes for the past eight months in a Sony HVR A1u with no problems with all shooting being done in HDV. As a result, I intend to continue to use these tapes in the XL-H1 which I should receive this week, unless I encounter issues using them, which I do not expect to happen.

Ian Thomas January 14th, 2007 05:03 PM

Mike

yes i get the message i was just asking

Harry Bromley-Davenport January 14th, 2007 05:20 PM

First, I think you should definitely get the Sony Mastertape. I do. It's a small price to pay for the knowledge that you are using the best tape with the best backing and lubrication out there. Whatever you do, you MUST stick with the same tape because of the head-wear issue.

Second, You might get the UV filter and screw it on and just leave it there as protection for your extremely expensive lens. Of course there will be a little condensation from the air trapped in there so you will have to clean from time to time, but I am on getting one soon for physical protection.

Best

Harry.

Mike Teutsch January 14th, 2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Thomas
Mike

yes i get the message i was just asking

How about this! Buy the Sony tapes like I say, keep your camera clean, use the Sony's until you have just one drop-out, if you ever do! Then change to the $16.00 each tapes, and see how long it takes for that same one time drop out.

Sounds fair to me!

Mike

Matthew Wilson January 14th, 2007 06:50 PM

Dick,
I don't know what SD filters you were considering, but I wouldn't worry about them at all if you purchased a well known brand such as Tiffen or Formatt or B&W or Schneider. These will be more than adequate for HD. Frankly, I think the "HD" accessories are a lot of hype and a way to make more profit.

Matthew Roddy January 15th, 2007 02:05 PM

I purchased that HD filter. Sure is clean and nice. I can't compare it to a "SD" filter, but I can tell you this: plan on getting a different kind of lens cap.
Bugger, that.
Even a standard/generic 72mm cap didn't do it. Plan on finding either "over filter" cap or something else. I ended up with (I think) a 67mm that JUST fit inside the filter without touching the glass.

Mike Teutsch January 15th, 2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy
I purchased that HD filter. Sure is clean and nice. I can't compare it to a "SD" filter, but I can tell you this: plan on getting a different kind of lens cap.
Bugger, that.
Even a standard/generic 72mm cap didn't do it. Plan on finding either "over filter" cap or something else. I ended up with (I think) a 67mm that JUST fit inside the filter without touching the glass.

Sounds like a no starter for me and my XLH1.

Bill Pryor January 15th, 2007 02:18 PM

Any good quality filter will do. The same Tiffen (or other) filters used on video cameras are used on 35mm film cameras.

As for tape...at the recommendation of one of the dealers (Zotz) who sells lots of Canon HD cameras, I'm using Panasonic AMQ tape (Advanced Master Quality). They're just over $8 apiece from our local tape supplier.