DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   ? upgrade for embedded audio on XL H1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/83947-upgrade-embedded-audio-xl-h1.html)

Brian Tetamore January 15th, 2007 01:53 PM

? upgrade for embedded audio on XL H1

Okay, I've read a lot on this from the initial release months and wondered if anything has changed. I don't have any names, but in attending a Canon exhibition in Colorado last year I spoke with one of their techincal engineers and he hinted the possibility of a future release of the H1 that would have embedded audio with the HD-SDI out.

Anyone have any news? Yeah, I know. I'm probably asking the impossible with as tight as Canon is. It just seems silly that they release a second level camera (XH G1) with embedded audio without any sort of plan to "update" the H1.

Why do I ask, some may wonder? Well, I'm looking to buy one in the next month, but if the current models will not be upgradeable then I may wait. Maybe someone can tell me that the XL H1 is not upgradeable with this option anyway? My utlimate hope is that a 3rd party company will come out with a portable storage device allowing you to record that HD-SDI signal either raw, or even in a compressed format like DVCPro HD codec.

Chris Hurd January 15th, 2007 02:03 PM

The XL H1 is not upgradeable with that option.

However, there is a third-party output solution: see http://www.miranda.com/product.php?i=338

Be advised though that "portable storage" and raw uncompressed SDI output are mutually exclusive terms.

Hope this helps,

Brian Tetamore January 15th, 2007 02:18 PM

So?

Thanks for the information. Spending $9000 for a camera and then having to spend another $2000 plus to have this option seems senseless. That said, the H1 seems to be the better camera among it's competitors.

So, I guess there is no way of knowing if Canon will come out with a "new version" of the H1 that will have embedded audio? When would they typically announce something like this?

Thanks

Chris Hurd January 15th, 2007 02:36 PM

You stated that you're looking to buy within a month. I seriously doubt the XL H1 will be superceded by a new XL model by then... but I suppose anything's possible. As senseless as spending another $2000 on top of the XL H1 may seem, I submit that it is even more senseless to wait for a newer XL model that nobody knows when or if it will even happen (and if you're waiting, you're not creating). You have a couple of full-SDI camera options available right now:

The JVC GY-HD250, in HDV1 720p format.

The Canon XH G1, in HDV2 1080i format.

What exactly is it about the XH G1 that makes you think it's a "second level camera?" It has the exact same CCD block and DSP and in several ways is more capable than the XL H1.

Brian Tetamore January 15th, 2007 03:15 PM

Yes and yes

1. I'm looking to purchase a camera that I won't have to leave on a shelf in a year. And yes, I'm asking for the impossible I guess with today's market. I'd buy the Panasonic HVX200 in a heart beat if it was designed with interchangeable lenses and had the HD-SDI out.
2. The choice is driven by having the ability to change lenses. Secondly, it's potential integration into a multi-camera setup.
3. The bottom line is getting the work first. The camera is probably most driven by the user preferences and production processes I suppose.

The JVC GY-HD250, in HDV1 720p format. - The JVC is intriguing. I've just had bad experience with JVC and many others have expressed similar concerns.

Quote:

What exactly is it about the XH G1 that makes you think it's a "second level camera?" It has the exact same CCD block and DSP and in several ways is more capable than the XL H1.
I don't have anything against the XH G1 at all. In fact, the church I attend will likely buy this model for their audiovisual upgrade in the Spring. By second level, I'm referring to the way a company packages their products. Like cars, you can buy the base model with only the necessities on it, or you can go all the way with every gadget you've ever dreamed of. For instance, why would a company create a mid-priced car with all wheel drive, but not offer that option on their top-priced car. Maybe my question is more of a comment.

Really appreciate the dialogue.

Bill Ravens January 15th, 2007 03:24 PM

I had serious reservations about buying into JVC, based on my own past experiences. The JVC HDV cams looked so good that I looked at a GY-HD110U. I was so impressed that I bought one. I've had mine for 3 months, now, and am still quite pleased with the purchase. My only complaint is the (low) quality of the stock 16x Fujinon lens, however, I'm sure it was packaged with the camera so JVC could get it on the street. The optics of this lens are just OK, with a plastic front shroud that holds filters. When I use my mattebox with this lens, I can't tighhten the mattbox clamp on the front of this lens because the plastic shroud gets distorted and the focus ring seizes up. I've replaced the 16x lens with a 17x, which is a little better quality. At least the filter holder is metal. Nevertheless, I'm not sorry I invested in the JVC.