24f > DVNTSC Offline > 24f Online Problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:35 PM   #1
New Boot

24f > DVNTSC Offline > 24f Online Problems

I am starting a feature length documentary and have tested a film output using 24f and it looks amazing (60i wouldn't work btw). So I am shooting roughly 100hrs of material and want to do ALL my rough cutting OFFLINE in DV NTSC. Here's what I wanted to do:

1. Digitize all footage at DV-NTSC Anamorphic.
2. Rough cut the film and get approval on picture.
3. "Make Offline" in FCP and change settings to HDV 1080 24p.
4. Re-dig the final selections and color correct/title/etc.

However, Canon seems to in-camera down convert all 24f to 29.97fps interlaced. This is BAD because my timeline will end up 29.97fps (drop) for the offline and needs to be 24fps (non-drop) for the online. In some early tests, I can't get 29.97fps footage to paste into a 24fps timeline and have FCP know how to remove the pulldown accurately.

My question? Has anyone done this or know what I'm missing so that I can do my offline in DV and still keep the timebase accurate and not get into that crappy 3:2 business? My logic for doing a DV offline is due to the amount of footage that I have to work with and the heavy rendering if I choose to do any kind of manipulation (speed, keyframing) to it. I don't want to get 50 hours into digitizing and feel like I made a mistake.

Hope this makes sense.

-Matt
Matt Burnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Contributor

It seems to me you'd be better off keeping it HDV in a 24p timeline from the beginning. You shouldn't have any rendering until you start doing effects.That wouldn't affect your rough cut.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM   #3
Trustee

I agree with Bill. I would try and use the 24F HDV media once it gets on your Harddrives as the Master and never go back to the tape except as an emergency. Chances are the amount of time it would save you will more than pay for itself even if you have to buy a new computer to deal with the 24F.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM   #4
New Boot

Another Variable

I'm thinking of adding the HV10 CMOS camera to the mix. I know it doesn't shoot 24p but since it's a progressive chip would it shoot 30p and would that gel with my 24f footage?
Matt Burnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM   #5
Contributor

If you can hold out for the HV20 (April?), it will shoot 24p. See the threads in the single chip camera section.

But if you need to go for it now, you can drop the footage into your 24p timeline and it will covert fairly well, but you get a little of the funky pulldown cadence.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders